Clear uac icon overlays on windows 8 icons

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kiruijhnstn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #1 kiruijhnstn, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    M$, from Windows Vista introduced icon overlays on icons of programs requiring elevated priveledges to run. These UAC (User Acount Control) overlays looks like this

Screenshot (30).jpg

I don't usually like the how these security overlays cover up the icons. From my opinion, the overlay makes the icons ugly.
    In previous versions of Windows (Windows Vista and Windows 7), it was possible to turn off completely the UAC thus removing the icon overlays. In the recent Windows 8 however, which I am sure most of you (including myself) are using, you cannot turn off UAC since most Apps in the Modern UI(Metro Apps) require it to be on in order to run them.
    Please not that I also like the UAC to be on since it serves it purpose by ensuring that only allowed programs run.
    I found a way I see it useful for me that ensures that your icons remains as beautiful as they were intended. You can follow these simple steps to achieve this:
    1. You must google and download these softwares that will assist you to accomplish this
    (a) Resource Hacker (Google for it)
    (b) IcoFX you can get a free trial at (h**p://***.softpedia.com/progDownload/IcoFX-Download-35273.html)
    (c) IconsExtract from (h**p://***.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.zip)
    2. Copy the file "C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" to a folder on your desktop.
    3. Open imageres.dll using IconsExtract and select the icon No.78. Right Click on it and choose "Save Seleted icons". Select a location to save eg on your desktop
    4. Now install and run IcoFX and open the icon you saved on step 3 using it.
    5. Follow the process as shown on the following images

On the left there are different same icon of different sizes. Select the first go to Adjustments>opacity
    Screenshot (20).jpg

Set the opacity to "-99" as shown below. If you set it to 100% opacity, the system will display black overlays on icons on the place of UAC icon overlay.
    Screenshot (21).png

The icon on the left should now appear to have been deleted as shown below
    Screenshot (22).jpg
    Do this for the rest of the icon sizes EXCEPT ALL 16X16 AND 8X8 icons (This is important) leaving a total of 6 icons unchanged. This will ensure that the UAC overlay icons appear on windows settings which I like unless otherwise you don't.
    After having set opacity to -99 for all icons with exception, save the file. Now open the imageres.dll file you copied to your desktop using resource hacker. Go to "Icon Group" expand it and go to No.78 expand it. Select 1033, Right click on it as shown below and select Replace Resource. Select the location of the icon you saved after editing using IconFX. Use to replace the resource.

Screenshot (26).jpg

Save the imageres.dll file and you are done.
    Start Windows in save mode, take ownership of "C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll", rename it and copy the imageres.dll you edited to this location. If you are using Windows 64bit, copy also the same file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imageres.dll since both files are the same.
    NOTE: UAC icon overlay may still appear on icons due to the cache so if you want you need to clear icon cache on "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" and "C:\Users\uaername\AppData\Local\IconCache.db"
    Icons overlay will still appear on icons when you set view to small icons. This is not a problem to me since I usually use large icons.
    This can be used for Windows Vista, 7 and 8

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I installed recource hacker as admin, and also open as admin , but when i open the imageres.dll file what i saved on my desktop I just get nothing in recourse hacker , when I open the imageres.dll file.
    I work on windows 8.

3. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #3 kiruijhnstn, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    (OP)
    I am also using Windows 8 Pro x64. I don't understand your problem. Have you followed the other steps. If you have the you can right Click on the imageres.dll file and the context menu that appears should contain "Open Using Resource Hacker" since you said you have installed the Resource Hacker. Just see it for yourself:
    Screenshot (33).jpg
    Screenshot (34).png
    Screenshot (35).jpg

When you are copying the imageres.dll file from C drive, Copy the file first then paste it on the desktop just to be sure you copied it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Thats because of UAC.

Do NOT run your Resource Hacker as admin and you are good to go.

5. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Sorry I did this the other way around :biggrin:

Installed Recource hacker open recource hacker en By FILE in opened the imageres.dll.

Now I can open ;)

Is it right to change the trusted OWner to Administrators ? to get the rights ?

Thanks In advance (better without the UAC shields ;)

6. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    #6 Padpadak, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    Can you explain me a little how to get on a good way owership of the imageres.dll file ?

Thanks In advance ;)

UPDATE:

Already find aregister tweak to have the possibillity in the contest menu ;)

7. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #7 kiruijhnstn, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    (OP)
    For anyone, there is a simple registry tweak that adds the "Take Ownership" option on the context menu as below

Screenshot (37).jpg

You can find it here (h**p://media.askvg.com/downloads/2007/10/Add-Take-Ownership-Option.zip)

Attached Files:

8. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #8 kiruijhnstn, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    What I know is that taking ownership of a file when you are running on an admin account doesnt require any elevation. I've never used link for askvg I provided but I usually use this tool to add such tweaks.
    This is the image setup. This toolkit was designed for windows 7 but most tweaks apply also to windows 8
    Screenshot (40).png
    The "Take Ownership" on the context menu can be added by just a click as indicated below
    Screenshot (41).jpg

This has more tweaks such as speeding up adding OEM logo, taskbar thumbnail preview, adding "Open with Notepad" to context menu etc. I commonly use the below highlighted ones.
    Screenshot (42).jpg

If you like, you can google, its about 25mb.
    NOTE: Not all the tweaks will apply to Windows 8

9. Jonny5isalivetm

Jonny5isalivetm MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    #11 Jonny5isalivetm, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    Good work Kiruijhnstn : )

Glad to be rid of the nasty UAC icons :D

Many Thanks

10. Chuvachok

Chuvachok Guest

kiruijhnstn, man, you've no idea how you made my day today!!! Great respect and thanks to you!:clap3::clap3::clap3: