Cloned USB Flash Pen with XP Pro will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by delta925, Jan 3, 2012.

1. delta925

delta925 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    Several months ago using the tips on this and other forums for diagnostic purposes I created a XP Pro installation with a specific application that runs from a USB flash memory stick, specifically a Kingston G3 4GB stick.
    This works fine as all computers have the same mainboard etc.

Given sooner or later the flash drive will develop a fault due to the number of read / write accesses I want to make a copy of it.

I have the same series Kingston G3 stick but 8GB rather than 4GB.

I have cloned the pen with the DOS version of Ghost 2003 and today also tried Snapshot.

Whatever I do I can not get the cloned pen to boot past the screen which has Windows XP and the scrolling bar. Every time the computer reboots instead of the desktop appearing.

I have tried all the usual tricks I know -
    FDISK /MBR from a Win98 boot floppy
    ( which has always solved this problem before apart from one awkward setup where I was cloning an IDE drive to a SATA and the XP installation was on drive E )​
    FIXBOOT and FIXMBR from the Windows XP CD recovery console
    All the live options in FIXBOOT from the Paragon Rescue Kit V11 CD

Either I get the same or corrupt the USB stick so it will not even start booting.

I have tried booting to safe mode too but again instead of the desktop appearing the PC reboots.

Now I have run out of ideas any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. delta925

delta925 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    I have fixed this the long way with a Windows repair using my custom ' XP for USB ' cd.

The problem with this method would be in the future if I needed to make a USB pen for someone to take to a customers system either by cloning another pen or from a Ghost image but I didn't have access to this specific hardware platform. Yes they could take a CD and run the repair but it takes a couple of hours due the the slow access speed.