Cloning 10 from one machine to another and then activating issue.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by porg, Mar 9, 2017.

1. porg

porg MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    Hi, first time poster. A while ago my dad got a laptop with 10 on a 1TB drive. He has a 120GB SSD so we were going to clone 10 over. Cutting a long story short, because of the 7200U cpu we were unable to use the cloning software (it didn't like Linux or something and prefered UEFI). We resorted to cloning from another laptop's 10 onto the SSD.

It took to it but 10 still insists that it's activated. He tried the key from the laptop cloned from and from the original on the 1TB drive but neither work. I'm assuming it's because the cloned 10 is locked to the laptop's HWID, but just wondering is there anyway to activate it as I would've thought it should work with the original key as it's with the original hardware.

When I get to seeing him again the plan is to clone the 1TB to a 500GB SSD just purchased (with a UEFI cloning tool) so hopefully that should work.
    I would go the 7 --> 10 route but I've read Kaby Lake doesn't work with 7. When I was over there cloning I tried Parted Magic and a Hiren Disc but both would either crash or blue screen at various points in loading.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. porg

porg MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah, I was an idiot for not taking the 1TB out and cloning the whole thing to the SSD. I'd have had to of used two externals attached to a different laptop but I'm pretty sure it would've been possible now I think about it.
    I left my dad in crap situation and feel bad about it.

Thanks for the link although I tried it on my machine and it doesn't show me the key. Would it work on his even though he doesn't have a key?

I've just discovered the gatherosstate method and genuineticket posts. I've got a Windows 10 64bit N CD that I burnt when first installing 10 (from 7) but the product key that I got from that first install doesn't work. Using the gatherosstate method etc. is it worth giving that a go to see if it works?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did the laptop come with 8.x/10 pre-installed on it or not? If yes, there should be a msdm key and that commandline will show it.

N editions aren't a feature but msft was forced to make them by certain governments. Nobody needs a N edition if they don't have a legit license for it.

5. porg

porg MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah, it's a Dell so 10 came preinstalled. I'll send him the link and see if it gets him anywhere.
    Thanks.

6. porg

porg MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    Sorry, no that won't work as presently he has 10 Pro and the preinstalled key is for 10 Home.
    I really did balls this up.

7. doubtfire

doubtfire MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2015
    When cloning a windows install from a HDD->SSD (or any drive I s'pose), do also grab the 500MB partition along with the main install partition? And then put them onto the SSD in that same order the way they came off the HDD?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...