cloning or recovering to a new SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by marklyn, Jul 10, 2013.

1. marklyn

marklyn MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2010
    I know there is good software out there to clone/image my hard drive and restore it to a new SSD drive.
    I'm just wondering though, since my laptop is brand new, I made a full recovery to a USB drive and included the OEM recovery partition.

Couldn't I just swap out the old HDD with the new SSD and boot with the recovery stick and do a full recovery back to the new SSD?

Also, however I do this, recover or image backup/restore, do I need to do some type of SSD alignment? I can't find a clear answer on that.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #3 s1ave77, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Went through the process a day ago...yay :D. Used Acronis to recover a backup of my HDD system onto the new SSD. First time i used a backup that was made sector-by-sector, what caused the wrong alignment on the new disk. So i created a fresh backup (with 'sector-by-sector' unchecked this time) and restored that onto the SSD afterwards.
    Now the SSD shows correct alignment in AS SSD Benchmark (should show only green OK and no red BAD) and really nice speeds :good3:.

To check whether Trim is enabled open admin CMD and:
    Code:
    fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    should show "0" for enabled Trim.

NOTE: Assure to disable automatic defrag task after restore :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    The only danger with SSD is that you will never go back to a mechanical drive :D

All the computers in the home have SSD drives now and will never use old drive to boot up.

4. valued17

valued17 MDL Member

Jul 1, 2013
    How much difference does it make as far as speed is concerned? So, you install windows and all drivers on ssd and other personal files on normal hd ?

5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    #6 zen45, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    don't forget to set your AHCI to make your SSD more efficient ;) in windows 7 its msahci in windows 8 its storahci it has to be set in your reg and in your bios :)

6. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    You install Windows/Programs to the SSD.
    The speed also comes not just from sequential reading/writing but the random read/write speed is high. Also the total No. of IOPs is way better.
    As a hard drive has a moving head it takes ages to seek from track to track, so the drive suffers.

Google up some youtube videos on booting Windows from SSD and HDD on same hardware.

Wife has a laptop that loads in about 4.5 seconds from cold, longest time is the BIOS (UEFI) loading up.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Best way should be to enable AHCI in BIOS/UEFI prior to install Windows :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...