[Closed] Genuine Win7 Home Premium Key needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by soufender, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I have been asked by a neighbour to upgrade his HP Laptop which is running Vista.

I plan to install Win7 Home Premium - I already have a genuine copy of W7HP.
    He doesn't want Win8 or Win10 installed at the moment.

Suggestions/recommendations please for the best supplier to use to purchase a genuine Home Premium Product Key?
    I am in UK. The Key has to be genuine as he uses the laptop for his business.

Thanks (PM me if you prefer)

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Google is your friend!! There a lot who sells genuine Product Keys on the Internet, incl. Ebay!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Yes and most are illegal (resold OEM keys or MSDN etc.)

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    In a rush so don't have time to test, plus I doubt if Anytime Upgrade works anymore. At least it didn't give Me options on Win 8.1 Core when I just checked. The best option Would have been installing Starter and Daz loading. Verify its GENUINE, then upgrade to HP using Windows Anytime Upgrade to purchase the Key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    So Now You really need to ask yourself, "Do you really want to Pay for a "Genuine" Key" that as posted above, probably isn't :confused: OR.........

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What do you mean?

7. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    For HOME users maybe but not on corporate pc's ;)

My remark about the possibillity to have a genuine 7 on a vista system is based on reallife experience. Once a friend had a Vista laptop and got the voucher for 7 when 7 came out. When checking the slic table with the OEM Query tool it stated: Valid oem os: Vista/7. My own laptab has a oem:Dm for 8.x/10. Sometimes there are legit options to upgrade ;):D

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I somehow doubt this is a corporate PC, more likely a self employed person.

Reason?

Corporate ones would more likely be running Professional/Enterprise, or they would just get a new laptop with Windows rather than spend money on a new OS for old obsolete hardware.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On any business system it's not aproved of using pirated os's (ms doesn't care so much about private systems, but they watch(ed) businesses closely, they even (once) "hacked" businesses to see if they used legit windows) . I used the term corporate, i meant all business (non private) systems ;)

11. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    So you consider a Window cleaner doing his finances on his laptop "corporate".

I guess my point is this is more likely a home laptop that somebody uses for minor business use (in which case M$ won't really care) or the op has chosen the wrong OS to install really.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If it has a chamber of commerce license/number, it's a business ;)

13. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    #14 Threat, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Not round my neck of the woods.

Most of the window cleaners round here prefer the added benefit of not paying tax :D

I guess the real issue here is if it's a company or if he's an employee. If the "business" has 25 or more PC. companies like FAST usually like to "offer" there auditing services, otherwise they just not interested. A 1 man band is unlikely to ever run into issues and would probably be fine on Home Premium. A sales person for a mid/large company on the other hand would want audited purchasable licences, usually with new hardware.

14. Sherry32

Sherry32 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2016
    You probably purchase it on google:worthy:

15. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    He said GENUINE and LEGAL :eek:

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Have you tried speaking to Microsoft directly? It doesn't get more legit than that.

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You can't legally just buy a "Key" even M$ doesn't do that. You have to buy the disk with a COA key from a legit business that's licensed to sell M$ software... In the U.S it would be Fry's, Tiger Direct, NewEgg or that Micro place (forgot what it's called)

18. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #20 soufender, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks to all for your replies ...
    @Joe C...Yes you are absolutely correct! I'm quite happy to purchase COA key and disk but I'm in UK.
    Googling indicates it's possible in USA but USA suppliers sites say 'Unable to ship to UK'.
    This is why I created this thread! I'm aware of other methods (so is my neighbour) but
    he has said he wants a LEGAL and GENUINE installation. Surely that must still be possible for Win7??

@Enthousiest ... Thanks for your updates. I may have to try your suggestion to check whether the Bios may have
    authorisation to allow a genuine Win7 install. But I was hoping to keep the install simple!!

Michaela's suggestion to try calling MSoft ... any question that's not Win10 I feel would result in a 'not interested' reaction!

Any other MDL members/guests have any suggestions:): Anybody?