CMOS Checksum bad on AMI BIOS--HP Mini 1109TU

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kisetsu17, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2009
    Hi all!

So I used an edited BIOS (for SLIC 2.1) for the HP Mini 1101TU, since it is also used on the Mini 1109TU. I followed the instructions by the letter, using a flash drive and AFUDOS to flash it. It appeared like it was flashing correctly, but when I restarted, I got the error "CMOS Checksum Bad" that flashes really fast.

Now I've tried using the flash drive and the method described in the recovery methods, only putting the AMIBOOT.rom file on it (I have yet to get my hands on a USB floppy drive) but it still won't work.

Now I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try clearing cmos and loading default setting in bios and save.

3. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2009
    Hm. Well, the problem is I can't even get into the BIOS settings page, it just keeps on restarting no matter what key I press.

4. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
  5. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2009
    HEEEEEELL YEAAAAAAAH!

@wuhoatu, although I deviated a bit from your method, I STILL COULDN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!

So, here's what I did:

-First I formatted the USB Drive I was gonna use using FAT. I used some hacked disk storage format tool to format it with DOS. (This was what I did originally when I did the first flash--the one that went wrong.) I wasn't able to try this one out because I was kept on being told that the AMIBOOT.ROM method in the USB wouldn't need any boot stuff in there.

-next, I plugged in the drive into the laptop, and the first few cycles it just came up reshowing the "CMOS Checksum Bad" error, so...

-I remembered that sometimes people need to press ctrl + home to force the flash method, but that's using floppy disks. AND, the Mini didn't come with a dedicated Home key, only an Fn-dependent one. So, I pressed CTRL + Fn + Left key (Home key, in this case) like I was mashing buttons while playing a Famicom game.

After that , the screen you posted above appeared in under a minute! YEAH!

So, thank you very much! Now I'm one brick on my bag free. :D

6. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Yeah. You are right. My USB too contains MiniDOS before.

7. tribeman

tribeman MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2010
    i have the same problem with my comaq mini CQ10-130se i did all the instruction you made but still nothing happens..:( what should i do?:confused:

8. lucasdinorma

lucasdinorma MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2012
    Really Works!

I has the same problem. I did the follow steps and WORKS! thanks a lot !

9. Knawl

Knawl MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2012

I have a HP Mini 110-1111TU with the same. It sticks at the HP logo. I cleared the CMOS but the only change is that the F8 and F10 options are displayed and then it flashes up CMOS Checksum Bad before returning to the HP logo. It also flashes up that the BIOS version is 300f0f18. I want to try the method you describe above but can't determine the motherboard model. I would like to "Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM" but how do I know what the desired AMI BIOS file is?