Comodo FW + MSE = Fail?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lice, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Lice

Lice MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Ok,

So i have taken many of you guys' advice and started using Comodo Firewall and MSE. However this combo is preventing me from using windows update, installing drivers from Nvidia and installing Windows Mobile Device Center.

I could not update Nvidia drivers through WU. So I downloaded it directly from Nvidia and gave that a try, but still no go. Windows update will get stuck on "installing updates 1 of 1". Same goes for Windows Mobile Device Center. All of these scenario will all start install and get stuck during the process.

I tried to install the new Zone Alarm firewall for W7 and it was having problem installing (getting stuck at 98%) and this was done after removal of Comodo. It eventually installed after several attempt. As of now I am using MSE + W7 firewall and everything seems to work ok. However my computer seems significantly slower after all the failed installs.

Was wondering if anyone else is having these problems? Could it be Comodo problem or MSE not liking non M$ firewall or just MSE problem?

2. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I'm using this same combination, MSE+Comodo, and no problems so far.:confused:

Perhaps you had some kind of configuration error.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smyttor

smyttor MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2009
    While this machine is Comodo and F-Prot, I have two others with Comodo and MSE with no issues, one 64bit and one 32bit Ultimate. I have 4 family members running Comodo and MSE on 64/32bit Ultimate with no issues. They were all clean installs, no upgrades.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    did you disable win FW through services.msc ?

5. Lice

Lice MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    I will give services.msc a try when I get home. Thx for the advice.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Don't know if it's your cullprit here, but usually it's a bad idea to have two FW's running the same time.

Post the outcome when you tried :)

gen

7. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Do you have Comodo's Defense+ running? I am using Comodo's firewall ONLY + MSE on a Win7 x64 system, and it's running flawlessly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I think you need to add windows update as trusted
    firewall >> common tasks >> defined a trusted application >select file group > windwos update application .

9. Lice

Lice MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
  10. cyberhound

cyberhound MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    normal behavior for win 7 is that when you install a "recognized" third party firewall, windows disables the win 7 firewall. i say normal, because that is what is supposed to happen, and that's what has happened on the machines i have seen, but anything is possible with windows.

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If anyone is having issues with this combination then I would recommend Comodo Internet Security. It is completely Free! and it comes with Defence + and the firewall and an antivirus. The whole thing is completely free believe it or not. :)

12. smyttor

smyttor MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2009
    #13 smyttor, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    I totally agree, Comodo is quite solid all around. I saw posts on here recommending it and after installing it I immediately switched from Kaspersky. I think the whole suite adds a bit too much for most casual users and has some overhead if you're a high end gamer or media designer.

On a home budget, hands down their software is amazing. You could certainly do a LOT worse than Comodo, but since switching to their firewall software I have been extremely impressed. They definitely are now tops on my client recommendation list.

:p