Compact Camera Market Near Death

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katzenfreund, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Nikon announced today that it will be shutting down its digital camera factory in the Jiangsu province China, blaming the rise of smartphones for the demise of the compact digital camera market.

The compact camera market is now near death after plummeting sharply over the past half-decade as the improvement of smartphone camera quality made compact cameras redundant.

“The global market for compact digital cameras has shrunk to a tenth of its peak within the past decade,”

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/30/nikon-shutters-compact-camera-plant-china-blames-rise-smartphones/

End of another era?

2. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I prefer to use my compact camera (7.1 Mp, Canon) over my phone when indoor. Smartphone don't have real flash (except my old Nokia N8 which had a Xenon flash on it) and makes awful pictures when dark Inside. Also, I have a optical zoom on my camera.

So it is still usefull. But maybe less space for différents models on the maket.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    A friend is a professional nature photographer and has some high-end cameras but he still uses his phone to take photos from the field to post to his site. :D It's just more convenient.

Another area that's probably being crushed is the handheld/dash-mount GPS device market.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    When it comes to costs, I got a dumbphone, a Nikon compact camera, a Sony MP3 player/recorder and a whole goddam HP desktop computer with 20 in monitor, DVD player and external drive for less than the price of a smartphone. So who's the smart one?

And I doubt if a smartphone can provide the strong flash needed in many situations.

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    So far it looks like me and you:dance: