Compaq SR5130NX bios flashing help

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kp2000, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kp2000

kp2000 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2012
    Hello I am relatively new to this slic 2.1 stuff but have modded a few using Andy P’s great mod tool for award bios. This Compaq SR5130NX that I am setting up for a friend is giving me lots of trouble though and I was wondering if someone had any ideas. The BIOS on that board is award and I modded the newest bios using Andy’s tool, which worked great but I missed the part about hp having slic 2.0 already in the bios and you could end up with multiple slic tables unless you changed your settings. So to make a long story short I have the 5.14 version of their bios installed on the board with a dell slp, certificate and slic 2.1. But the system will not pass activation due to windows 7 still seeing the slic 2.0 table for hp/Compaq.The problem is this machine will not flash via any dos tools I have tried; I always get the unknown flash or write protected errors from dos apps such as multiple versions of awdflash including using most of the switches I could find for forcing. Also uniflash does not seem to work as it is a nforce 430 board. This was happening even before the bios update, so I used winflash to do the update. Now when I try to change the bios winflash tells me that it is not award bios anymore? I have been trying to get a version of winflash that would allow me to force the update with the /sa command line, but so far every version I use says “error parameter” with those parameters. Does anyone have any tips to get the bios either back to stock, remove the slic 2.0 table, or to let me reflash from dos or windows? I do not see anything in the bios for write protection nor do I see a jumper on the board anywhere, or any way to get to hidden features in their bios to allow dos flashing. Here are the specs Compaq SR5130NX version 5.14. Sorry I can't post links yet. Thanks, kp2000

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Try to flash from DOS via Awdflash.

3. kp2000

kp2000 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2012
    Awdflash gives me an "unknown flash type" error even with the /f to force the flash. This was happening with this board even with the factory bios. That's the big problem I am having as winflash says "not award bios" after I flashed the modded bios. and winflash was the only way I found to flash the board. Winflash is also what hp uses in the bios update if that means anything

4. kp2000

kp2000 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2012
    hello awdflash still says unknow flash type or just hangs when trying to flash back to factory bios.

5. kp2000

kp2000 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2012
    tried to do award bios recovery on a floppy instead of my bootable usb stick. I got a little farther, but got an error that the file sizes do not match my bios in awdflash. this is using the same ivy.14 bios file i extracted from the hp 5.14 bios update(renamed to BIOSFILE.BIN per instructions).

6. kp2000

kp2000 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2012
    Anyone have any other tips? After clearing the cmos now every way I try I get the file size does not match. Is there any toolkit or tool I can use to take out the second slic 2.1 table? Or make awdflash ignore the mismatched file size? Ihave copies of bios from backups before and after, as well as what I flashed but as a new user I can not post links.

Thanks, kp2000

7. ddstar

ddstar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2012
    #8 ddstar, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    The slic is a part of the DMI. To get rid of it, you'll have to clear the nvram. However, you'll lose the hp branding (boot screen, serial number etc.). You didn't need to flash the modded bios at all, in fact. CPC_DMI 5.03(HP Tattoo tool) would have updated the slic to 2.1. Rather reflash original unmodified bios and update the dmi with that tool.