Comparing BIOS (UEFI images) wisely. Identifying chengings of an update.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Someotherone, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Someotherone

Someotherone MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2022
    The main question of comparison images is about approaches, tools, features etc.

In my case I have Acer A315-41 laptop with some BIOS versions and no proper changelog. One day I started hardware virtualization (KVM) with crush. Then I needed to buy a new RAM and have never use KVM on my laptop.
    At first I thought the issue is in ACPI table, watching loading dmesg firmware bugs.
    Code:
    [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table
    AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping
    Recently I was told that there are no crushes using BIOS v. 1.13. As I remember I had the KVM crushes using the next available Acer BIOS v. 1.15. Even using hex comparison there are no ACPI table update.

Now I try to understand what prevent virtualization in 1.15 version in comparison with previous versions. Acer only mention AGESA PI update from 1.0.0.4 to 1.1.0.8 without any details. There are big differences in bin files which I can not interpret. UEFI Tool qualifies most of them as 'Pendings'.

I assume that many of you had to solve the same task with another UEFI images.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Someotherone

Someotherone MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2022
    Yes, of course.

Versions 1.09-1.15 have the same acpi tables and 1.17-1.18 too. However I was told that hardware virtualization don't crash with 1.13 but not 1.15. I suppose something in agesa code is wrong from 1.15 version.