Completely Broke Windows 8 in Pursuit of Aero....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magdalene, Sep 17, 2012.

1. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    Oh I just did something incredibly stupid. Was surfing around just looking for ways to get "Aero" in Windows 8 (I am a girl, what can I say... I like Aero...).

Found this page that was saying "How to get Aero on Windows 8". Just download this file and run it... "
    I DID see that this Windows 8 pack or whatever it was called was aimed at Win 7 users, but I figured the person had tried it and found that it was working. Certainly I was not expecting this fix to break the Windows 8 completely, either way!

Ran the patch, rebooted as instructed and lo and behold. Windows is BLACK everything is gone. I can bring the Task manager up, and start a command prompt and some software. But not fore example Windows Explorer. "This app cannot run" (Is Windows explorer suddenly and "app").

As I am typing this, I am running the sfc /scannow functionality to see whether that repairs anything... However, there is a good chance this darn thing messed up the Registry too and there is no resetting that as far as I am aware....

Typing from my work laptop that fortunately was in my backpack.
    Any advise appreciated!!! :) Yes, I know I was very stupid.... :jumpon:

2. joenathan

joenathan MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    If you can get to the start screen then you should be ale to run the "refresh your PC" option or you should be able to run a system restore, if you can't pull it up through Windows, by booting off a Windows 8 setup disc, under the Troubleshooting(repair) options you should have an option to run System Restore and restore your PC to before you installed the pack.

If you can't do those things then the only real viable option will be to re-install.

3. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    Thank you :biggrin: the system restore sfc /scannow solved the problem. Can be run from the Command Prompt.