Compq lappy recovery partition...can the files be extracted ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tnx, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well hi all if you have read my other recent thread regarding my newish lappy this is on the same lines but i feel it deserves it's own thread..OK..

I have a Compaq lappy with preloaded W7. On the machine is the recover partition.
    Earlier i just simply tried to copy and paste it onto another drive...Ohhh no not so simple.
    Done some searching but not found away to copy the partition. Well really i want to extract the files from it.

Anybody on here know how this is done,and can it be done ?

cheers...

2. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    #2 ambidav, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    What is you want to extract from the partition? if its oem imformation find the preload folder with all the base wimfiles and copy them to your c: drive install waik then open a command prompt with waik and try this command to export all split wimfiles to 1 wimfile

Code:
    CD c:\preload
    imagex /export /ref *.wim base.wim 1 exported.wim "exported"
    or you could just install 7zip and right click the first base.wim and open archive! that will give you access to all the files..:)

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #3 tnx, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Hi ya mate...

Tried the first option you put on this thread
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-.wim-files...Not-sure-what-i-am-doing-really..

This was tried from the three recover discs i made when i first bought it...Had no joy..

7zip.....Yes tried it but not just on the first base.wim file. Tried them all......Will try that now...

You seem to know about these here .wim files.....One thing is puzzling me...I have base.wim then base2.wim and so on up to 108.....Now i thought there should be a base1.wim or is that just base.wim without actuall having #1 in it ?...If that makes sence ?

4. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #5 tnx, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    (OP)
    Ahhhhhhhhhh good....Just triing the 7zip on the first base.wim file.....It's having a good go at extracting the files as i type...Thanks for that tip...

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well i wasn't expecting that....It's like a C:\ drive after windows has installed.....

Dont know why but a was expecting the file structure of the actual dvd used to install Windows....

Then i just expected seing a folder called OEM just like the ones we add to our downloaded W7 images.....This would hold the logo's and wallpare and all the other info. hu....I am surprised.

So how do i find what i am looking for now. I suppose i could have just looked in the C:\ drive of the lappy for all these files....

7. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    #7 ambidav, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    you might get the wallpapers in swsetup>wallpaper folder and logo's in hp>bin folder
    you would of been best just opening the base.wim with 7zip rather than extracting the whole thing! that way you can drag certain files and folder onto your desktop quickly :)

8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    To be honest i am disapointed in what i got. All the trouble i have gone to. Hu...

Thanks though for the pointers mate...

If i ever have the need to do this well now at leat i know how to....