Computer buzzing noice,win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by igoreshka, Mar 22, 2012.

1. igoreshka

igoreshka MDL Junior Member

Jul 5, 2011
    #1 igoreshka, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    I am running a MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1,Intel Pentium 4 524
    Prescott 90nm Technology,Realtek High Definition Audio,2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12),SyncMaster (1280x960@60Hz)
    ATI video (HP)
    dunno what else to tell you, my computer starts consistently buzzing when browsing an Internet,
    I have Opera Browser 11.10 & IE9
    Brand new HD, brand new PS, what else should it be...sites cookies?
    sounds like it is overheated, but it is not, the cover is open....i thought that it will be easy to find out what it is.....
    thanks in advance for your answer

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    just a couple of thoughts, have you installed the intel chipset for the board and is your hard drive sata, if so have you installed the sata drivers, sane for the HP video card, is the sound comming from the video card fan?

3. igoreshka

Jul 5, 2011
    there is 3 fans inside,when I open a computer, one on the back panel, one inside a PS and the third on stays on top of the aluminum thing(i am not a tech guy)
    the third is the one is who going crazy ,from time to time

4. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Well of its the fan ontop of the aluminum block thats your cpu cooler. I would disconnect power remove it clean it and reinstall with fresh artic silver. Start there first. Sould ljke your cpu is over heating. Or the cpu cooler is messed up. They build alot of dirt and dust. I disassemble my pc once every few months to clean those areas.

5. markedbyalantattoos

markedbyalantattoos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I agree with kaos420. Alot of mainboards have the feature when the processor heat increases the fans speed up. sounds to me with more processor usage your fan causes the buzzing. Id start by cleaning the cpu fan/ then clean any case mod fans. I had a old hp with ht tecnology and when the ht tecnology kicked in and was being used the fan got noizy.

6. igoreshka

Jul 5, 2011
    thanks for your input,guys
    but I already did clean it with my blower,that was a dust and dirt but computer still buzzing, especially when the video from youtube or any from sites is On

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Unplug the other two fans one at a time and startup the computer. If the noise goes away, you know which fan is the culprit. If it doesn't go away, you know neither is the problem.

Blowing the dust and dirt out of the CPU fan and heatsink is a good idea, but that won't fix a failing fan. If the other two fans are OK, consider replacing the CPU fan.

Of course you may have a failing power supply fan. They too can be replaced it's just a bit more involved than replacing a system or CPU fan.

Does your video card have a fan? Many do these days. Given the noise is most prevalent when playing videos, I'd suspect the video card fan. It too is easily replaced. You can test it too by blocking the fan's motion or trying a different card.

If you feel the need to provide air movement during any of these tests, leave the computer case open and use a floor or box fan to provide cooling air.

You're welcome in retrospect.

8. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I recently cured a buzzing under certain loads (converting DVD videos, etc.) by replacing my power supply with a more powerful one. There was nothing really wrong or under-powered with the original, but the buzzing went away completely with the upgraded power supply.

9. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    If its a heat issue with cpu. Blowing it out wont fix it. You need to remove the cooler. Clean old paste of it and the cpu chip with rubbing alcohol then reapply artic silver.

10. igoreshka

Jul 5, 2011
    thanks a lot guys, this is definitely a cpu issue(i guess) cause this buzzing noise goes in & out but it is getting more and more frequent, you never know when it will start or stop

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    A buzzing noise changing in intensity doesn't necessarily mean a CPU issue. What it likely means is changes in power consumption changes some factor which causes your buzz.

Fans often change speeds under load and that's what it sounds like you have. When a greater load is applied, variable speed fans will speed up to meet increased heat extraction needs. Once the part cools down, the fan decreases speed, hence the changing intensity of the buzz. Since yours is, by you own admission, linked directly to video card usage, how are you determining the buzz to be CPU related? Your power supply fan very likely reacts the same under changing load conditions. If it's defective, it will make a noise that will likely change as power draw changes. Cooling remember, more is needed at times so fan speed changes.

You CPU fan may be doing this but you can't say for sure unless you eliminate all other fans and/or components.

But, whatever. Good luck.

12. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I get a Buzz from my win 7 machine when moving around web pages, but it comes from the speakers.

Mute, the speakers and the problem is gone. It only happens when I have the volume near the high end.

In my situation, I believe it is a ground loop between the computer and TV speakers. I goes away if I ground the computer chassis and TV to a common ground.

13. dgmry

dgmry MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    Several months ago I built a PC for a friend who called me a week later and said it was emmiting a high pitched buzzing/whining noise that only stopped when he killed the power to the pc. I could not hear it but my wife could sitting next to it and my 15 year old son from across the room. With his help I isolated it to the power supply. I exchanged it for another which had the same problem. In my research I found that some models of Gigabyte boards, Intel cpu.s graphics cards and power supply's exhibit this problem. It was suggested to isolate all the components in the power supply from each other and apply hot glue to all the choke coils. This did not work. I also found that this problem was mostly found in 80+ or better certified power supply's. I ended up replacing the unit with a different make and model--problem solved.

Hope This Helps
    Good Luck

14. igoreshka

Jul 5, 2011
    yes, it is cpu fan makes this noise, especially if any video is On,youtube,etc

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Replace the fan.