Computer Chair Wobbling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BrokenDaily, Sep 13, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I got some stuff from ace hardware to fix some cracks I saw on the base of my chair, but for some reason its wobbling, and probably because of whats shown here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrkdycxpqh0gj17/Chair1.jpg?dl=0

when I raise the seat by the lever on the side, I tend to keep it unlocked so I can move it around, but this also causes that part to raise up, and too much moving around will unbalance the chair until I can fit it back in place and use my own weight to push it back down

is this normal and I should deal with it, or can I put some putty or something in there to keep it in place and my chair won't wobble so bad again

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    get a new chair

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Joe C's advice will definitely fix the issue. :D

You can see in your photo that there are small stress fractures in the top of the tube where the plastic insert fits. That's why it's loose. Your chair really is just worn out.

But here's what you could try: Pull the plastic part out as far as possible, mix up some 2-part epoxy glue then put a lot of it all around the inside of the top part of the tube. Then jam the plastic part back down, flip the chair upside down so the glue pools around the top area and let it harden overnight.

It would probably be just a temporary fix but would give you more time to shop and get a new one. :)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    PointZero's fix will work.

See if you can find the company that makes the chair and see if they sell replacement parts.
    If the chair was expensive, then it's worth the effort.

If not, then, as Joe C said, it's time to treat yourself to a new chair. ;)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    altough PointZero have one good alternative but the best solution is one new chair

6. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    ill try pointzero's solution, maybe see about using some other product that would work, but I only had this chair for a few years, and I didnt even buy it, my dad did

ill consider a new chair when the thing starts breaking to the point where I CAN'T Ignore it if I tried anymore, maybe replacement parts, but until then, thanks guys

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Buy a new gas lift, significantly cheaper than a new chair, just remove the old one and insert the new one between base and chair

Bit of a PITA to remove the old one from the chair sometimes (Wooden mallet and patience)

[​IMG]

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    I replaced the gas lift on one of my chairs before.... your going to need something better than a wooden mallet, a sledge hammer and patience to continue beating the snot of the bottom to get the gas cylinder to let go of the chair's base. Best to get an OEM part from the manufacture, that info is usually on a tag on the bottom of the chair, call or write them. Expect to cough up around $20. for the cylinder.
    I still got less than a year after the time and trouble to fix the chair. That's the reason I stated to get a new chair
    IMHO, If you buy a cheap chair, then do not be surprised that you'll end up with .....a cheap chair

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Took a wooden mallet & patience to get mine out, replaced it with a 250kg lift, still going strong today, cost £12.99 instead of £150 for a new chair

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Had to beat mine out... refused to let go

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Easies, fastest and cheapest solution: Wobble with it.

Guaranteed to work.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That only works if your a weeble

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down!

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Take up drinking to fix a wobbling chair?

:rofl:

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Well, I have a swiveling chair and I swivel with it. Other people have a rocking chair and they rock with it. So I don't see anything wrong in wobbling with a wobbling chair.

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Weebles don't need a wobbling chair to wobble. In fact, it's bad for them, as they might fall from it and lose their "un-falling" reputation.

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Are you proud that you beat up a defenseless chair you chair beater you !

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes...
    And after I had my way with that chair I ended up selling it to a slave handler (goes by the name of "waste disposal")

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Up Next:
    Confessions of office chair killers