Computer Forgot C: drive?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BrokenDaily, Nov 7, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I booted up my computer a few minutes ago (Dell XPS 8700), and after a few minutes of boot up, it ended up rebooting, but then it couldn't detect my C: Drive, and I bet it would've caused it to go on an infinite boot loop, so I hard-shutdown it, unplug the power, bleed out the rest by pressing the power button, and make sure the power and data cables on my hard drives are secure; I plug the power in, boot up, and its all fine

does anyone know what could cause this, a faulty data cable, power issue, something im missing; if its a cable thing I'll get some replacements from amazon if I need to, but a second opinion would be helpful

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Username checks out

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Do you have a cat?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    we would've gotten a cat for our spanish spanial dog, but both mom and dad agreed the smell of a litterbox would be too much; and no, despite my poor choice of profile naming, I did nothing beyond replacing the thermal compound on my cpu and nvidia graphics card, and cleaning my computer of all the dust that built up inside it 2 days ago

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Too difficult to determine what the problem is if it is working now. If it continues to do that and a reset is required more often then there could be something to look for. You might want to check the health status of your hard drive

6. AlfTupper

AlfTupper MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Cause & effect perhaps. I've never been a great believer in coincidence.

7. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    The Dell XPS 8700 may! have case intrusion detection enable by default in BIOS, so by replacing the thermal compound on your cpu and nvidia graphics card, and cleaning you´re computer, don't forget to go to the BIOS setup menu and load the default BIOS settings save&exit after the job is finished.

8. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    ill just write this all off as a one-time thing; go ahead and marked this solved, shove it in the back of the forum closet, I don't care anymore

sorry for wasting a thread people

9. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    No problem , I had this issue one time with an old homebrew AMD
    It got worse. Turned out it was the connectors on the hdd cable
    replaced the cable, no more problem.

...T