Computer is laggy or stuck for a few seconds.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by king123321, Aug 22, 2011.

1. king123321

king123321 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    I recently encountred an issue that no matter what I do (Play games, Browse the internet),
    My computer just gets stuck for a few seconds or lags. o_O

Now I was very frustated so I just foramt it. Now I still have this problem when ever I play
    games, or just browse the internet (Or anything I do), It's very laggy and gets stuck.
    Now this is the list of what I did:

- Virus scan (Malways anti-bytes, Panda Cloud antivirus).
    - Clean dust in the computer itself.
    - Delete unnessacry processes (I just formated it so... nothing but still).

What else can I do? Upgrade the computer? This is my computer's parts,
    By the way.

- E5400 Processor.
    - 2GB Ram DDR2 667 (I wanna upgrade to DDR 800, 3 or 4GB).
    - Biostar G41 chipset.
    - HDD 70Gb (Yes, Wanna upgrade).

Thank you for the help, I'm clueless! :confused:

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    What OS are you running?

...and how much free HDD space you got? 70GB seems a bit too little these days. At first glance, it could be that you are very low on space or that your system resorts to pagefile usage too often :confused:

Describe the lag in more detail i.e. does it occur steadily at 1-2 sec intervals?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. king123321

king123321 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    I have 54.8GB free out of 70. What did you mean by pagefile? Oh and.. It just lags for 1,2 seconds
    while browsing the computer or internert. When I play games (IE. League of Legends), I see lags more often
    for about 4,5 and even 7 secnds laggy mouse and game. Then everything's back to normal.

Also, my Vidoe card is HD4770.

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    This is almost certainly a software issue. That could mean anything from misbehaving driver (graphics in particular) / service or even application problem (I trust you saying that you are 100% malware-free). Do you still get the lag at first logon and without any applications running in the background (close everything)? To narrow things down, logon under Safe Mode and see if you still get the lag. That should help narrow things down a bit...

In the (very) unlikely scenario this is a hardware issue, I would scan the HDD for potential bad sectors.

Try the above as well as what other people mentioned and keep us posted with any progress :)

6. king123321

king123321 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    Now the lags are not happening anymore (Maybe some here and there). It oculdn't be a hardware problem
    (with low HDD space or Ram) because this probelm started 2 weeks before.

And also, when I open Google CHrome it doesn't open, only after 2 minute delay. And also the pages aren't
    loading, it gets stuck. I tried resintalling, but it happens with almost any application (Not only googe chrome);

7. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    lag:
    problem with hdd (you can hear you hdd constantly) (run chkdsk /f /r)
    problem with audio (sound is not clear during lag)
    problem with video (mouse is frozen for a moment)
    also can be problem with network (or attack from network) (check firewall log)

on my laptop I have problem with modem driver and hhd audio. when I disabled modem problem was solved. so try to temporary disable some hardware (network card, modem, audio card ...)

8. king123321

king123321 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    When I lag in a game, (Ex. League of Legends), When I lag and the announcer says something, It's stuck like
    "An enemeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy has been slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaained".

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Only thing in common there is internet and internet game so probably your connection and internet speed.

10. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
  11. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  12. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    lose google chrome, it's worthless. use firefox 4 (not 5 or 6--this is my opinion only, 4 is the most stable for me).

13. tomah

tomah MDL Senior Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Check out your CPU use when this lag happens. Is it possible that whatever is happening, is causing your CPU to go to 100% and then lags a bit until it drops again?

14. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
  15. king123321

king123321 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    It has nothing to do with my internet, since my brother has no problems at all. It's not only this game. When I watch videos it lags, or just
    surf with Chrome. My brother said maybe it's because of my HDD slow processing or something like this. I might just get a new one.

16. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #16 stayboogy, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    again, lose chrome.

if this is not a problem that has been going on the whole time you have had the pc, but is something new, then this has nothing at all to do with your hard drive. i'm using a very old hdd compared to recent standards and i have no problems. the hard drive caching speed doesn't have any bearing at all on how you are able to process things from the internet. and whoever suggested it is way out of touch with what goes on in a pc. forget it being hard drive related, it's just silly and grasping at straws...

most probable causes are: a service(s) or process(es) eating up your memory; your virtual memory is too low for your physical memory, ie. your pagefile is set at too low a maximum size for the actual RAM you have installed; your processor is weak, and can't handle what it is being put through maintaining your browser and OS together--not 7 bulk friendly; you have a virus/malware/spyware using system resources (this includes tracking cookies--this is the most likely i think); your browser sucks; or it is indeed your internet, either modem, wireless connection, your isp, or the server you are connecting to...

don't replace your hdd because it has absolutely nothing at all to do with your issue in my honest and educated opinion. now if your hdd goes out in the next day or two then yes it was, but i highly doubt this will happen, or will ever happen based on normal use, and upgrading to a new hdd with a larger cache is not going to fix the problem but i almost guarantee you will still have lag, only way you wouldn't by doing this would be because you will go through a complete re-install of your OS. if you restore from an image to the new the lag will almost certainly be there still because again, it is NOT hdd related...

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I have to agree with stayboogy if it was the hard drive you would be getting errors all the time not just when using the internet.

18. jozef

jozef MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    I had similiar issues with lag/momentary freezes etc. when using internet and other common activities. I disabled file/disk indexing and my problems went away completely. Might work for you. Just a suggestion.

For reference:
    Windows 7 x64