Computer is very very slow after logging before having the desktop viewable

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Philippe, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Philippe

Philippe MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2012
    Hello,

I have search the FAQ and the forum without finding anything about this.
    I have a Laptop SONY VAIO VGN-FZ21E.
    The OS is Windows 7 Utlimate with SP1 from MSDN.
    I have used the windows 7 loader 2.1.2 from DAZ.
    And as I say in the title the computer is very very slow after logging before having the desktop viewable. (About 10 min).
    This do not occurs when loading in safe mode of course.
    Does anyone has any idea or suggestion that might help me ?

Thanks by advance

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #3 PhaseDoubt, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    If you don't have the problem in SafeMode, likely a driver is at fault or you're loading an awful lot of programs with normal startup.

Has the problem always occurred or is it new? If new, what changes, if any, did you made to your system just prior to the problem happening? Can you reverse those changes or uninstall any recent software? Have you tried to restore your computer to an earlier state before the problem? Have you scanned for malicious software: viruses, Trojans, bots and etc?

3. Philippe

Philippe MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2012
    Sorry for the late reply. Very busy.

@ NICK@NUMBER11: I didn't think this will be useful but as I've experienced computers are sometimes out of logic then I ran a "sfc /verifyonly" and several problems appeared. Surely because of the upgrade. Will run it as many times as necessary to have it 100% clean.

@ PhaseDoubt: I also think about a driver. So I've tried several things. But first let me answer your questions :

• Has the problem always occurred or is it new?
      Yes the problem is new.
    • If new, what changes, if any, did you made to your system just prior to the problem happening?
      I used to have Enterprise edition, upgraded to ultimate edition. Everything went fine.
    • Can you reverse those changes or uninstall any recent software?
      No I can not without uninstalling the OS. And I do not want to !
    • Have you tried to restore your computer to an earlier state before the problem?
      No, because of the upgrade. It appeared just after the upgrade.
    • Have you scanned for malicious software: viruses, Trojans, bots and etc?
      Yes, and nothing found.

I suspect the graphic card driver.
    It is an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT. There is no Windows 7 specific driver given by Sony. I downloaded the latest for this card (296.10) and used a modified INF to enable the installation. I must say that the problem was there before the installation of the driver (after the upgrade). And still there after. I'm wandering if there is special settings I do have to use in the Nvidia panel control to better use the computer (It often freezes because of the graphic, just applying something in the nview panel and the computer freezes) ?

Looks like I have a lot of work to do ...:shisha:

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Download the latest driver from the nVidia website like acrsn suggests. If that doesn't fix the problem, you've at least eliminated one variable.

5. Madison23

Madison23 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    #6 Madison23, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Type msconfig in Windows startup menu and go to services disable all useless programs and services.Then go to startup and uncheck all useless progams to startup.
    Then uninstalls all useless programs from your laptop.
    Install a safe registry cleaner which can speed up your PC.

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Have you ever defraged your hard drive? You could have a severely fragmented hard drive. Also, do you have anti virus because you could always have a virus. I would also make sure you dont have rouge virus disguised as a service. So check the MSConfig utility and when you check under the services tab, make sure you have checked "Hide all Microsoft Services". Only disable what you know is not going to affect your computer. Make sure you disable things in the startup tab also. A lot of unnecessary thngs linger in there also such as app updaters, unnecessary programs you dont use, etc...

7. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    I think phillipe already fix his issue, caused last post get 6 months old:eek:

windsman.