Computer name during setup

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Klomar, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Hey there guys!

I was wondering if I was the only one that finds strange that during Windows 10 setup it is never asked if you want to set a Computer Name..

It asks only for the username, but not for the PC name, so it sets a thing like "desktop-35f63hb73". In all previous Windows the setup always asked that.

Are my ISOs broken? Am I the only one that is experiencing this fact? Or maybe am I the only one who cares about it? :D

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's normal now it was changed in 10. If you would like to change PC name, control panel- system - computer name - change setting.

3. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    So that's normal, my ISOs are fine.
    It bothers me because I always thought that if I change the name after the setup it "doesn't work as well as if I set it during the setup" (I don't know how to explain it better, it's just a feeling :rolleyes:).

Well, if that's normal I guess I need to get over with it :D

4. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Since Windows 8 the computer name need to be changed after install

5. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012

Nono in Windows 8 you can choose the PC name during the setup. It's the first thing that you can enter and it asks it when you have to choose the main color of the theme.

6. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    oh my mistake, you're right sorry

7. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    [scarcasm against MS]Right, save us precious seconds during setup by getting rid of the timezone and PC name dialogs, as opposed to removing "useful" fast stuff added to setup and first run like "setting up my apps". Too bad Windows isn't smart enough to set up that stuff on the fly after the user account is loaded and the Desktop is showing, during which time we could additionally click the extra things we now have to in order to change the timezone and PC name![/sarcasm against MS]

I know, it's long, but no - I'm not bitter. ;)

Sorry OP for rant in your thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Ahah no problem, I agree :D.

Anyway if anyone knows a way to re-introduce the request of the PC name, maybe by adding an Autounattend.xml file in the dvd or something like that, he should feel free to share it with us :worthy:

9. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Windows setup does ask you whether the PC is owned by you or by your company. I suppose a lot of the domain related stuff is not shown to users who own their PC and are not part of an enterprise scenario.:g:

Btw. be aware that simple file and folder sharing on your LAN/WLAN does not work if you are signing in with a Microsoft account. I'm assuming that's why you want to change the computer name from whatever gobbledegook name Windows has given it, so being aware of the Microsoft account thing might save you a lot of grief.

10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Autounattend.xml

11. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Ah so there's a way to force the setup to asks the computer name by adding an autounattend.xml? How?
    Or maybe can you only enter a specific computer name in that file so it sets that?

12. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    Do you use an xml answer file in Win10? If so would you care to share it with all sensitive info edited off course??

13. 10aout

10aout MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    #13 10aout, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  14. Klomar

Klomar MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Got it, thanks! But I wanted the setup to asks me everytime the pc name. I don't understand M$'s choice but I guess I'll get used to it

15. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Anyone else have the issue where the user name folder is truncated. My user name is 6 letters long but for some reason after a clean install windows decides to make it 5 letters. For instance if the user name was "Andrew" windows made a folder "Andre".

16. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    My AV reported the file, do you have it as .txt file perhaps?

17. ReXX

ReXX MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Yes, very annoying. I reinstalled and when asked for a Microsoft account I chose to login with a local account instead.
    That way the username folder is with the correct name. After install I just choose to link up my Microsoft account to the local account.

18. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Most users don't even think of a proper PC name. They just name it the same as their user or something similar. Very few even ever NEED the name of their PC.

Besides UNC paths, SQL servers, etc.......can you think of a common household use for a name for a PC? I mean maybe a media center but....

19. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    If you install using a MS account you will lose your insider status as you have 2 machines with different names with the same HWID. You have to change the name, reboot and then go into OneDrive and delete the WIN-WERWERWERW automatically generated one. Another good reason (apart from the name in C:\Users) to install with a local account even if you want a MS account eventually.