Computer problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by dabits, Oct 19, 2010.

1. dabits

dabits Guest

I'm not sure where to post this ...

The daughter of an old girlfriend sent me a distress mail.
    Here is her story:

She had a (MajorDefenseKit) virus, couldn't get rid of it, nothing worked, except MSN ?
    Later it worked normally ?
    Then, after the IBM startup screen (laptop) everything went and stayed black.
    When she powers up, all the lights are on, later there's only one the power light and the black screen.

I found XP.SP3.x86.RTM in her language, will it work with just a clean install?
    Or do you guys have ideas or suggestions.
    I can do a lot, but I am no expert ... I do want to help this girl :)

2. dabits

dabits Guest

Thanks, I was going to use acronis boot cd to format and create 2 new partitions.
    And I have a set of tools that I've used before to make windows "genuine" :)

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I would clean it with DBAN or similar. Do a proper format (NOT a Windows format)..Then use Gparted or similar to make partitions. If you use Acronis, maybe make a hidden partition for a recovery install? Not a bad idea in my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Don't know what you've used in the past- but the "VLK to OEMBIOS changer" doesn't use hacks, host file mods, WGA file mods, etc... it installs the proper files that match the info in your BIOS to make Windows legit forever, and allows all updates without issues. It's a highly recommended application. :biggrin:

5. dabits

dabits Guest

I tend to stick with something if I know that it works, but I'll check it out :spoton:

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    OEM bios method is like manufacturer method it allways works and is permanent and Genuine no need for hacks e.c.t.