Computer randomly restarts - driving me crazy - files provided to help diagnose

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by livejamie, Nov 30, 2010.

1. livejamie

livejamie MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    #1 livejamie, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    My computer is an Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core machine running Windows 7 32bit (Was having some problems with some programs when running the 64 bit version) with a GeForce 9800 GT.

All my drivers are current, and other than this - everything seems fine.

It won't bluescreen, it just turns off - it's random. I can be just word processing, or watching a video, it doesn't seem to do it during anything specific. Sometimes it will go days without the problem, sometimes it happens twice in a few hours.

I've even enabled the bluescreen option, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Upon reboot it then gives me this message:

--

Code:
        Problem signature:
        Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
        OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
        Locale ID:1033

Additional information about the problem:
        BCCode:124
        BCP1:00000000
        BCP2:86975024
        BCP3:00000000
        BCP4:00000000
        OS Version:6_1_7600
        Service Pack:0_0
        Product:256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
        C:\Windows\Minidump\112910-25630-01.dmp
        C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34023-0.sysdata.xml
    --

I've uploaded the files it mentions along with a DxDiag.txt here:

mediafire dot com/?8g55lyf636ozj

(Sorry your forum won't let me post links until I have 20 posts :()

I'm not really familiar with advanced computer hardware at all. I can install a video card, or replace RAM, etc. But I don't know how to diagnose this. It'd be nice if somebody can help me narrow down the problem. I don't want to have to result to taking it to the Geek Squad or something. :(

Thanks so much for your time!

2. DigitalJammer

DigitalJammer MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I repair computers. More times than not when I get a customer with a computer acting like yours it is over heating. More times than not I find it to be hardware, but we can not rule out a software problem just yet. Yes there are other possibilities, but if it was me I would at least try to rule out overheating. It seems more common in desktops. Either way, for the record I have opened up some desktops and simply vacuumed the dust out, cleared all air vents (smokers often have more dust in their computers that clog up the air vents with dust from the smoking)

Listen for a fan inside to turn on and off. A thermostat controls at least one fan that ideally will turn the fan off once it cools down to a safe range, then later the fan is turned back on and all repletes. Some computer fans are very quiet, while other fans are very loud. There are programs that tell you the temperature of your hard drive, even Windows might have a way of doing this. If you never hear a fan running and ding your internal hard drive temps is in the red zone, this might indicate overheating and Windows just shuts off at these times. It's easy to blow all the dust out of air vents and sometimes this fixes the problem, other times you may need to buy a replacement fan or two, and yet another possibility could be a replacement power supply being too weak, and if a lap top, as soon as the battery gets depleted the computer may suddenly go OFF because the external power supply can not keep up.

If you rule out over heating and the hardware, then do not rule out a virus, they love to reboot.