Computer Rebooting at welcome screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by petoria, Mar 23, 2010.

1. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    I built a HTPC and installed windows using the repository and the loader on the same page. Everything was working fine until I came back after 2 weeks of not turning the computer on and it installed some updates. From then on, the computer will restart automatically at the welcome screen; I can't get to the desktop. Every restart, it says computer was not shutdown correctly and sometimes gives me a startup error and asks if I want to repair startup. I then go and restore the computer to before the update and stopped auto windows update and it is still restarting on the welcome screen. I disabled windows update all together now. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? The computer gets to the desktop once every like 10 tries. It's really annoying

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Uninstall the loader to see if that's the problem

Also If it worked fine before the updates perhaps uninstall each update one by one til you find the update that messed up your startup if indeed it was the updates...lol

3. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    wow crazyness. i would say uinstall loader and switch to removewat that way u don't have to mess with the updates.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Make sure your memory is firmly inserted - a hell of a lot of computer problems relate to a fault somewhere in the memory system such as a module not inserted properly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    yes he is right. and maybe try switching them around. or unplug computer. take out battery. drain remainging power. then put back battery and power and turn back on

6. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    I took out the wireless N Netgear wireless usb and it booted up fine and it restarted fine. I think that might be the problem. I have my boot priority in bios to just the hd and disabled everything else. Uninstalled the wireless adapter driver and installed the new one but now it's not reading the usb when I plug it in. I've also notice that when i plug in a usb storage drive, I can't click on safely remove hardware because it doesn't show up. The USB drivers are installed from the disc from Asus and are up to date according to their website. I'm leaving the wireless usb adapter off for now to see if it happens again.

Btw it's a Asus P7H55-M Pro Micro ATX Mobo....is there a way to reinstall the USB drivers for the board?

7. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    yes there is. just google it, its usually pretty easy to find. you prob need to update usb and should work fine. when u disabled did you dispable something important? maybe you should go back and enable stuff.

8. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    nah i didn't disable anything important, just diabled option 2 and 3 in boot priority

9. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Ok, I'ts the USB forrrr sureeeeeeee. I tried to install the usb drive after downloading the drivers separately but i get this error saying the "parameters are incorrect" and device doesn't install correctly. I tried this with another computer and it works fine and then tried to install a different wireless usb and get the same error. Anyone know how to fix this?

10. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Get the latest motherboard chipset drivers

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    agreed or if they are not available use any program like driver genius to try to scan your hardware pieces for driver updates even though your motherboard manufacture may not host them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    updated chipset drivers and that didn't do anything....i really dont want to reformat but might have to

13. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    If You dont want to format no way..
    bcoz i also had the exactly same situation nearly 4 months ago,but it was due to virus name(something like win:Virut)..
    better scan with a latest AV

14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    oh s**t Virut? I read about that like 2 years ago and it is one badass virus dude. Its good that you got it out because I heard that some AV's even have a hard time getting all if it out.

15. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    interesting, I have kaspersky internet security and it has a pretty good antivirus. I'll scan the whole comp tomorrow and see whats up.

16. petoria

petoria MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    scanned the whole computer and kaspersky found nothing