Computer Security

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akritasge, Feb 7, 2010.

1. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    Hi to everybody

I would like very much to know your opinion about Microsoft Security Essentials and whether the combination of Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall can offer a satisfactory degree of protection.

Thanks in advance

2. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    if you are advanced user and if you know your system,you can use MSE with the Microsoft Firewall and be carefull with some sites and some jokes... but if you are noob, than never trust Microsoft security utilities only.

In this case i recommend you the Kaspersky Internet Security or Eset Smart Security.

In my win7i use KIS withou problems. But ive been testing the MSE fo a wile and i realylike this free av..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    MSE actually replaces Defender.. when you install it it disables the service but yea i've been using MSE on all my computers and seem to do the trick.. on Legal copys of win7 at least

4. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Before I use Kaspersky, but since a knew about MSE I start to use it and left Kaspersky. Works fine "light" with out problem if your copy of windows is original no problem, but if don't windows disable it.

5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Use a standard user account + UAC + MSE + Windows Firewall and u a're pretty safe.

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #6 Dolorous Edd, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    This is what I use, works for me. MSE, windows firewall, mozilla with adblock+ AND, this is probabaly the most important, NOSCRIPT. I also use a program called mail-washer, it allows me to check, view and even reply to email without ever downloading it to my computer, I use it like an email client and the only time I use Thunderbird is to actually save an email so I have it as a record.

The most problems I see come from installing junk software that does nothing but slow down your system, installing warez or malicious websites that install activeX or java components that harm your system.

I use an administrator account but have been thinking about using an admin account.

EDIT: I just changed my account to standard user and now I receive warnings every start-up when search everything and xfire try to start. Anyway to give the programs permanent permission to run on a standard account?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    @Dolorous Edd: What warning do u receive?

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    That the publisher is unrecognized. happens on search everything (awsome search tool) and xfire.

9. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
  10. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    What an amazing tool Everything is - just found it by chance reading this thread. I hate the Windows 7 search tools and have been looking for an alternative.

11. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    :) Thanks all of you for your time to answer.