Computer stuck at black screen, even after fresh install.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Scias, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scias

Scias MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm having issues with this computer and not exactly sure what is causing it. The computer kept booting to a black screen and would just sit there being able to move the mouse. Booting into safe mode would work just fine though.

I ended up just wiping the computer and putting a clean install on windows 7. It seemed to install just fine and dandy, but after it got to the point where it needed to boot into windows to configure it would just sit at the black screen again. When trying to go into safe mode it said it needed to boot normally to finish.

Any suggestions on what to do?

2. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Have you changed any settings in the bios? If so you may want to restore defaults and clear cmos.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    My guess is a display driver issue :confused:

Did you do any hardware / software (i.e. installation, drivers) changes recently?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    If you did something with your drivers this could happen.

5. Scias

Scias MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    How could this be a driver issue if it was just formatted and was working before? Also I do not believe there were any hardware changes.

6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    That's could well be why. Under safe mode Windows works on just the very basics and that excludes 3rd party drivers. Of course it could be something else i.e. BIOS configuration issue. Try loading BIOS Setup Defaults and try again.

We are just trying to guess here from the information you provide in the description...

7. Scias

Scias MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    Ok I feel really stupid about this now. I went over there today to take another look at it and decided to check what exactly was plugged in. I then notice a VGA and DVI cable plugged in to the computer and the monitor at the same time. >__> Once I left only the DVI it worked perfectly. So thanks all for the ideas and whatnot.