CompuTrace causing problems. Need help to remove from BIOS (Phoenix BIOS F.2E)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by sonu27, Feb 10, 2010.

1. sonu27

sonu27 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Please do not even ask such question in this forum!

You have a problem with it, talk to the manufacturer

sebus

3. sonu27

sonu27 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 sonu27, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    (OP)
    Why should I not ask such a question?
    I emailed the manufacturer but my warranty it over. So they are not will to do anything.
    Computrace is a load of bull****!

UPDATE: Using PBE I opened my BIOS.
    Then went to the temp folder, and search through all the files with an hex editor.
    And found that MOD_4A00.ROM contains CompuTrace.

Now how do I create the BIOS again, removing that ROM file? Will it give me errors?
    HELP? Please?

4. TOMBO COMBO

TOMBO COMBO MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Is it enabled in the bios? Are you talking about lowjack for laptops? Only way to disable it is to reset asset tag.

5. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #5 fakeraol, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    @sebus
    why not?
    it is called a theft protection, but on the other hand:
    - ibm/lenovo does NOT inform you about it.
    - you have NO control over it.
    - the owner, who has activated it and sold the laptop later, may erroneously report it as stolen to absolute -> your data may be deleted.
    - absolute may erroneously set the "stolen"-tag for the wrong laptop on her database -> you may lose your data.
    - some software (possibly the computrace-service himself) or hardware may fail and initiate the deletion of your data.
    - some hacker may find a way, to trigger the computrace-service and broadcast this over whole ip-ranges, deleting the data of all connected computrace-enabled laptops.
    - absolute is located in usa and the american gov. has some strange ideas about democracy and terrorism and civil rights. maybe, they have a masterkey for it.
    - i dont want to have just to trust in the promises of the gov or absolute, i want full control over my laptop.

i dont pay absolute for this service and the old owner sure will not pay for me. i have bought my laptop from a wll known dealer, who sells used thinkpads from companys, im shure, it is not stolen. it should not be my job, to tell absolute, to disable the computrace, it should be ther job, to disable, becouse the know, it was not payed.
    and as long as i have not requested such a "feature", i dont want to have it, enabled or disabled, on my laptop.

EDIT:
    - absolute can not only delete all my data, but too, download (steal) it. or change it. sorry, thats not my idea about security.

6. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    My advice is: Don't Steal Laptops.

7. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    sorry but: thats a stupid advice.

i dont talk about, what it should prevent. and i DONT STEAL laptops!!!

i care about, what happend, if it FAILS and that is a much to big price (loosing all my data or get it stolen) for a UNREQUESTED "feature".

so my advice is: think/read first and answer then.

FIX: typo

8. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #8 NoJuan999, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    I did read this thread and 99.9 % of people that are asking for ways to defeat anti-theft protection, have a stolen laptop and that's why they can't access the Laptop.

So I will repeat my Advice.
    Don't Use a Stolen Laptop and you will be able to contact the Manufacturers Support for a way to disable and or repair a problem with any Protection that is on a laptop.
    Or Buy a laptop that allows you to disable any protection that it has built-in.

PS
    Thieves aren't the smartest people around, that's why they keep building more and more prisons.

9. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #9 fakeraol, May 31, 2010
    somebody asked yen, how he could trust, the patched bioses in this forum do not contain trojans. yen answered: how can you trust M$ or any other company, not to include trojan functions. HOW COULD I TRUST ABSOLUTE OR THE AMERICAN GOV., NOT TO HAVE A BACKDOOR, TO ACTIVATE COMPUTRACE WITHOUT MY INTERACTION AND TO DELETE ("COLATERAL DAMAGE") MY DATA IN "FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM" OR "PROTECTION OF ECONOMIC INTERESTS" OR "THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIVE" (hiroshima, vietnam, cuba, .....)?

why should "being a thief" be the only possible reason, to remove such a uncontrollable "feature"?
    im not scatterbrained, i have an eye on my laptop. but my work, my ideas, my data, my privacy, are important for me too and they are possibly insecure by computrace.
    absolut will possibly deactivate computrace on my laptop, but they will NOT remove it!

why would you not allow video-observance in your home? have you something to hide?

btw: prisons ar not only for thieves but too for all people, who compromise the existing order and the order is made not by/for poor people.

EDIT:
    hey, NoJuan999, let my insert a remote blowable bomb in your car. trust me, i will blow it only, to stop thieves with your car. have no fear, if you sit inside with your family, trust me!

10. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #10 NoJuan999, May 31, 2010
    Like I said if you didn't steal the laptop, you should have bought one that either doesn't have Anti-Theft Built in
    or at least one that can have the anti-theft protection disabled.
    Especially since you are so AFRAID of what it will or can do.
    This should be a No-Brainer for an intelligent person that is so against Anti-Theft protection on Laptops.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a laptop that contained software or hardware that I didn't want on my PC.
    Just like I wouldn't buy an automobile that had a BOMB as an anti-theft system (NOT that they are even remotely similar).
    Thanks again for proving that thieve's really aren't very bright or they would steal laptops that they can access or have no built-in protection.

You should start your own website devoted to defeating laptop anti-theft protection and see how many non-thieves visit.

11. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    i have bought it from a friend, witch bought it from a british second hand dealer, who sells written off laptops from companys.
    not me, nor my friend was aware, that lenovo bundles EVERY laptop with such a bios-module.
    i have never heard before about it.

hey man, YOU help people to defeat anti-theft protection of m$ windows 7 ! ;-) :-D
    what do you think, how many visitors have bought her win7-version legaly and request a slic-patch from you?

if you dont accept a "bomb anti theft protection" in your car, even if deactivated, why should i accept a potential security risk for my data?
    it could be triggered by mistake or technical malfunction (hard- or software) and you know, how often that happend on windows.
    if i will protect my laptop against thieves, there are other ways, witch not include the danger to damage my own data and witch not are based on control and access of people, i dont know and dont trust.

childs, living on the streets of sao paulo, or burma, they wont care about, you call them thieves, because they steal.
    american people, wrong advised by the money "experts" of ther bank (witch will NOT be treated responsible therefore), witch lost ther homes and the money, they payed for, will not care about being called thieves, if they try to survive.
    but what this "experts" have done, was by law and so they are not thieves.

thief or not, thats a question of definition.
    what is right and what is wrong?
    hedge funds steal under protection of the law, so they are honourable.
    call me potential thief and i call you potential murder, because you refuse video-observation in your bedroom. ;-)

it is MY right of privacy, my right, to keep personal things private. no more, no less.

12. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 NoJuan999, May 31, 2010
    Last time I looked, Modifying a BIOS was NOT Illegal.
    I own my copy of Windows 7 which I puchased a Key for legally.
    Stealing laptops is most definitely is Illegal.

So stealing laptops by you is justified because people in the world have suffered losses, which in No Way affect you ?

If you had actually purchased that laptop you would NOT be so offended when I said, Don't Steal Laptops.
    So, from everything you have said I personally believe you stole that laptop or obtained it knowing that it was stolen.
    I have NO intention of helping someone that stole another persons hard earned property.

Your argument just isn't logical and definitely makes me believe you are a thief.
    So go ask your "friend of a friend" to show you how to disable that protection.
    Or better yet, turn the laptop on and leave it on so that Computrace can be utilized by the Original Owner and he or she can show up with the police and they can enter that password for you. :D

13. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #13 fakeraol, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    OK. i think, it is only "licensed" and this license contains not the right, to modify it, but if so, its my right too.
    I own my thinkpad which I puchased for legally.
    Stealing Windows 7 is most definitely is Illegal.
    Supporting it too.

If i post a message "my advice is: dont talk bulls**t!" below a message from you, you will not be offended? you dont tread it for an answer to YOU?

the "friend of a friend" was not a "friend of a friend" but a friend of mine and we meet every first sunday in month in berlin on "thinkpad-meeting" www.thinkpad-forum.de/forum-events/user-treffen/20641-einladung-zum-29-berliner-thinkpad-stammtisch-05-juni-2010 .

no fear, i do. and when can i set up the video-observation in your bedroom?

14. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #14 NoJuan999, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Since I don't talk BS that doesn't offend me in the least.

I am NOT leagally resoponsible for the actions of others.

Your arguments are still not logical.
    Nothing have have said in any way changes my opinion that you are attempting to defeat the built-in protection on a Stolen Laptop.

You can certainly setup video observation in my bedroom if you can,
    1. find my home
    2. Get past my dogs
    3. survive the Shotgun blast that is reserved for anyone that breaks into my home

The bottom line is you might as well admit you just want to defeat the protection on a stolen laptop and then go elsewhere for help.
    There must be somewhere that this information is sdistributed to laptop thieves, prison perhaps.

If you were in fact the legal owner of a laptop with computrace that you wanted disabled all you would have to do is contact Absolute (the makers of Computrace) and with proof of ownership they will Gladly Disable Computrace on your laptop.

So I say again you are obviosly NOT trying to disable it on a laptop that you purchased legally.

15. fakeraol

fakeraol MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    > I have never stolen Windows 7 and I have not supported that theft.
    > I modify a Bios to learn more about the internal structure of various Bios Types.
    > What others do with a modified Bios is not my concern.
    > I am NOT leagally resoponsible for the actions of others.

how many of the visitors in your profile have bought win7, you think?
    why should someone, who bought it, modify his bios and risk damage, what do you think?

> You can certainly setup video observation in my bedroom if you can,
    > 1. find my home
    > 2. Get past my dogs
    > 3. survive the Shotgun blast that is reserved for anyone that breaks into my home

if youre smart enought, you can find my adress and anything else about me and send the police to me, the bad thief.
    btw.: privacy is for loosers, not for smart "Experienced SLIC Tool Operator "s, witch dont care about, what others do with ther work (possibly steal software).

> The bottom line is you might as well admit you just want to defeat the protection on a stolen laptop and then go elsewhere for help.
    > There must be somewhere that this information is sdistributed to laptop thieves, prison perhaps.

do you think, i need your help, to remove this "protection/security risk"? i have learned, to do such things by myself, have a look at my fx-extensions.

16. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
  17. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 Daz, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #19 NoJuan999, Jun 2, 2010
    I personally don't like that type of spyware either, which is why I would Not buy a laptop that has it.

But I do know that 99.9% of people asking for a way to remove that from a PC are doing so because they have obtained that laptop Illegally.

Absolute requires a scanned copy of a receipt and your Laptop Serial Number, if you have those you can easily have Computrace Disabled.

Also I have learned over the years that most Major companies will make good on their products if you yell loud enough and go high enough up the chain of command.
    A conversation with a call center worker in India will probably Not be able to resolve an issue, but an Email to the Company CEO probably will.
    I have had entire PC's shipped to my door when I had enough of tech supports BS and emailed someone high enough up in the company.
    It is cheaper for them to ship you a replacement than lose sales because you end up giving them a bad name to every person you ever come in contact with.

It's usually pretty easy to tell if you are dealing with a legitimate owner vs a thief when it comes to these type of situations.
    To Paraphrase Shakespeare:
    "He doth protest too much, methinks."

If you read what this guy wrote, it is easy to see that he is trying to justify the fact that he has a stolen laptop.

The bottom line is that I will not help this guy steal other peoples property, which he most likely is doing for personal gain.
    No one on this forum does what they do for personal gain, so why help someone that is obviously lying about stealing a Laptop (or many laptops for all we know).

EDIT:
    LOL @ Daz.
    That is definitely the easy way.
    I just enjoy watching these type of people dig themselves into a hole trying to explain why they can't get that service disabled through the proper channels.

19. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #20 Daz, Jun 2, 2010
    Totally understandable as I too don't do things so people get a personal gain.

I have talked many times about how I don't want SLIC detection so that the loader application can perfectly pre-activate every single system. The reason why I don't want to add the feature, although it would be good to have is because I don't want some guy placing my application onto a DVD and then selling that to someone. Sure maybe the cost of the disk, but if you're asking for $20+ for something that costed you nothing then I don't want to be a part of that, I don't want to aid these people at all.

Them who are knowledgeable and know a bit about hardware and really want to remove Computrace could within 5 minutes if they just looked around at the information provided online already. That's why I provided the link I did, it doesn't directly point to the information but for some genuine users who really do own a laptop that has this crap installed then it at least gives them a starting point ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...