Concurrent users on Poweredge 2600 via VPN/RDP?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by drumnbassej1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. drumnbassej1

drumnbassej1 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2010
    I know absolutely nothing about how virtualization works. I'd like to give it a try and learn about it. I have no idea where to start. Could someone kindly shove me in the right direction?

Here's my scenario. I have multiple users now logging into our VPN and using RDP. My users really only use office applications, mostly outlook and our access database. Right now I have re-purposed some old desktops for them to use. Each user gets their own computer. I realize this a pain to manage and is highly inefficient. Sounds like a perfect time for some virtualization to me! All they machines are running XP, so they don't support multiple sessions. I do have a Dell Poweredge 2600 that I am no longer using. Could I use this to support a few remote users? What do I need to get started?

My current thought process is to install server 2008 and on that can't you install virtual win 7 machines on that?

Thanks in advance!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Just install W2K3/W2K8 R2 on it, activate Terminal services & you have Terminal Server for your users

Just make sure you have at least 4 Gb memory if this machine can take it

NO need for any virtualization here (PE 2600 would be too low spec for it)

sebus

3. drumnbassej1

drumnbassej1 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks sebus!! That will support what 4 users? or will it be more? Most actually won't be on at the same time. Everyone has their own schedules.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How much RAM do you have?

sebus