Confused about switching motherboards

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sccrbrandon4788, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sccrbrandon4788

sccrbrandon4788 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    I used these bios on my motherboard:

- Mainboard: Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe
    - BIOS rev.: 0405 (beta)
    - BIOS: AMI
    - SLIC: ASUS
    - Modder: BiosButcher
    - Modded BIOS Link: HERE
    - Tested by :
    - Vista Status : Awaiting feedback

I got a new quad core processor and my motherboard isnt compatible. If I get a new motherboard, what will I have to do to keep my Vista activated since the hacked bios will be on the current motherboard?
    I am looking at the ASUS Striker Extreme btw.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You have to request for a ASUS Striker Extreme bios mod, or search for a already modded one and flash it onto the board as you did before.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    but i shouldnt have a problem with vista then? as long as i flash the bios afterwards? can almost any bios be modded?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, almost any. Except special Dell or Intel bios. ASUS Striker Extreme for sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    Great! Thanks a lot.

6. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    more than likely..when you update your MB and Bio's...you will have to re-activate it (3 Days)...just repeat the syntax to import the certificate and the key again.....but in all due honesty..with a new MB, I would do a fresh install.

7. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    well i had a dual boot going and i cant really remember how i did that. i might consider it but i'd really rather not... i got a new 500gb i took in to work today to clone it but i guess i could do a fresh install. so i have the disk, just boot from the disk and install it without a serial. then what again? sorry its been like a year since i first installed it using the emulator

8. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    sounds like you used the 'paradox' patch...I was thinking you were using the new method of 'modded' bio's and activating as if 'OEM'...so unless you explain what method..its hard to 'suggest' anything...the only thing with XP and Vista..is you will be dealing with new chipset drivers,IRQ assignments and other drivers...and your OS will have to make all them changes in the registry and could be a nightmare with performace issues and BSOD's.

9. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    i am using modded bios, but last year when i first did this there was an OEM activation ToolKit that you had to install the emulator and then do a bunch of stuff in command prompt. i didnt do the clock hack or anything like that. then not too long ago i had something happen where it was saying i needed to activate, i took my computer into work to have it looked at for something and they downloaded the new bios and i had to get the modded bios from here, which fixed it. now i got a quad core and i need a new motherboard and just need the modded bios for that. besides flashing the bios, is there something i have to do in command prompt?

i understand the difficulty in trying to keep my OS working with all the new parts so again i will probably do a fresh install. i just need to make sure i know the steps beforehand so i dont screw it up and i feel better about what im doing.

Thanks
    Brandon

10. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    #11 jroc, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  11. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    k, thanks. ummm with doing a new motherboard there is probably no way of keeping my current hdd intact is there (even with all the registry mahem)? j/w can i boot off of a vista disk or are they not bootable?

12. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    yes...Vista is bootable and you can keep your hard drive in tact,so to say..im sure it has several partitions being 500g...you just have to install Vista on one of them..lets say you have
    A
    B
    C
    D Partitions...you can install Vista on A..and after its done it will sort out the others B,C,D and give them drive letters...or you can just clone your drive with your current Vista...load it on the new comp and go from there...chances are with a new chipset it will not be pleasant.

13. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    haha yeah i had them clone my 80 to my new 500 and i was doing a dual boot but im going to try my 80 and see if it doesnt crash and will adjust itself. otherwise i'll do a fresh install.
    one thing i need to know is what do i need to include to request bios? i know the site for the bios i'll need but i see slic, should that be whatever i want?

14. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    #15 jroc, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  15. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    thanks. last question. since its going to be something i built, and Gigabyte doesnt make computers, does it matter what certificate should i use? does it matter?

16. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    it really doesn't matter...just more of a personal preferance....just as long as the Certificate and OEM key matches...just take some time and read the stickies and follow the 'request' thread...you will find alot of useful information and knowledge.

17. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    so i think im getting the Gigabyte x38T. i've got somebody to make the bios. any favorite/best flashing software? also, where can i get the certs and keys? i dont have the OEM toolkit anymore.

18. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    well i have the key and certs... do i just need to find an Awards bios utility?