Confused about Which Version to Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by eddierex, Jun 17, 2013.

1. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    I am installing Windows 8 for the first time. This is a reinstall after a HDD failure. This computer shipped with Vista and was upgraded at some point.

The system details screen of the old install says it is Pro x64, and there is no Media Center included. This is not a European computer, and Media Player is in the old install. Seems simple enough, but here's where I'm confused:

Belarc Advisor tells me that the old install is Windows 8 "Business." Does that mean it is actually Enterprise Edition? Does it refer to the licensing channel? That is should I install from a VL ISO?

TIA for any help and clarification.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #3 Humphrey, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Find out which architecture (x64 / x86) you want to run and download the correct ISO for said architecture.
    [Doesn't matter which one really, but if you have more that 4GB of ram I will suggest you download x64.]

SHA-1 *ISO Name
    1ce53ad5f60419cf04a715cf3233f247e48beec4 *en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso
    22d680ec53336bee8a5b276a972ceba104787f62 *en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso

Code:
    If you do not have key of your own then you should probably download one of the below ISO's and use Microsoft Tool Kit to activate it. 

6ddedebe40ab59cb11823f62f475c43c4053fe60 *en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699.iso
    548ab51161fd83b889596b143d86c1eeb61ef2d0 *en_windows_8_pro_vl_x86_dvd_917830.iso

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @s1ave77 I'm doing this for a friend's son. A college kid. For what it's worth, he says it is legit.

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    In case it´s a legit version i would recommend the Pro Retail version.

6. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @Humphrey I prefer not to use a crack in this case. I'm charging this person for the work, and he does have a legitimate install on his failing hard drive.

I'm installing from an AIO ISO put together by Murphy78 from this forum, so the hashes you gave there wouldn't apply, but I do trust the source.

At this point, I have tried the Windows 8 Pro x64 install and when I put in the product key, it returns something like "That product key didn't work. Double check it or skip this step."

Now I've tried installing from the VL option in the AIO, and have reached a screen that asks me to personalize the install without having been asked for a product key. If I can avoid it, I don't want to continue down that path if I will ultimately find out its the wrong one and it can't be activated legitimately.

7. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @s1ave77 I'm using an AIO put together by Murphy78 from here. The retail version would be the one with no special modifications to the name, am I right? Meaning no N or VL. I took a guess and went with that. Unfortunately, when I entered the product key from the old install, it returned something like "That product key didn't work. Double check it or skip this step."

Now I've tried the VL option and have gotten to a screen asking me to personalize the install, without having been asked to enter a key at all. I don't want to go too far down that path only to find out ultimately that this is also the wrong edition and it cannot be legitimately activated.

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #9 s1ave77, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can avoid the key input with an ei.cfg in the \sources\ folder of the ISO with following content:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail

[VL]
    If key is refused during online activation afterwards you can use the phone activation. In case any problem appears, you will be connected to a support cooperator which you can explain the situation.

10. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @Humphrey Thanks for that tool. That will come in handy many times in the future.

And it does say the key is invalid. I suppose I'll pop the old drive back in and see what Magic Jellybean and Nirsoft give for product key on the old install. I've always thought Belarc was the more reliable tool for that.

Murphy78 does do Preactivated ISO as well, but the ones I use for paying customers are his non preactivated ones. They are a valuable tool because I can install all editions from one USB stick, and he updates them every moth or so with all the updates slipstreamed in..

11. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @s1ave77 Yes. With Windows 7 reinstalls, I usually get "The product key you entered is not valid for online activation," and I have to go to phone activation, which works. I wonder if the error message I received is just the Windows 8 version of that.

12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  13. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    Wow! Went back to the original install and queried for Product key using WinGuggle. Got the same result as Belarc Advisor. For good measure, tried Nirsoft Produkey. Got entirely different number. That number checks out with the PID Checking tool suggested by Humphrey as a valid 8 Pro Retail Key.

I don't know what to make of that, but I'm going to swap the drive back and do the install again with this number.

14. eddierex

eddierex MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    @Humphrey Thanks for that tool as well. I did download it and add it to my key grabber tool kit...

We'll, guys, I *think* I'm good now. I redid the install using the Win 8 Pro Retail choice and the new product key I received from Nirsoft Produkey. All went well, and the install now reports that it is activated. Seems like the original issue I started the thread for can be marked [SOLVED.] But I have a new concern. I don't know if this warrants a fresh thread or not, but I'm being told on good authority that I still don't have a straight, legit activation on this computer unless I:

1. Locate appropriate media and Key for the version of Vista that the computer shipped with.
    2. Install and activate that.
    3. Upgrade to this version of Win 8 from there.
    4. Then activate that.

Am I OK leaving it as it is, or will it come back to bite me in the @$$ some time down the road?

I like a clean install, but if it means doing all that, I think I'd have been better off just imaging the old drive.

Thanks Again to Humphery, Murphy78, and s1ave77 for all the help so far.

15. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Do not know who told you that but their crazy!

Windows Vista and Windows 8 are completely different products.

Only problem I can think of and I think this is a non-issue, is whether or not you used a upgrade key which is meant specifically for upgrading from a older OS (Vista, 7) to windows 8. I myself have been using a upgrade key with my Windows 8 Pro install on a fresh install (which only needs 1 registry file change to work) and I have yet to see any problems.