Confused about Windows 8 downgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Earthenware, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    #1 Earthenware, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    Hi,

I've read that if you have Windows 8 Pro then you are allowed to 'downgrade' to Windows 7, but I'm a bit confused.

I've had XP running for a few years without problems. I was concerned about it going EOL so I took advantage of the of introductory price of Windows 8.

This has proved to be a mistake. I want to try Windows 7 instead.

I've been reading about downgrade rights and I believe that, as I have a legit copy of Windows 8 Pro with a Product Key, I am allowed to downgrade to Windows 7.

What I'm confused about is how I would actually do it. I've read some tutorials but they assume that you already have the Windows 7 media and Product Key (in which case surely you aren't downgrading, but just reinstalling?) which I don't have.

Can I just download a copy of Windows 7, burn it to DVD and do a normal install using the Windows 8 Product Key?

2. XRobRoyX

XRobRoyX MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2012
    What they mean by downgrading to 7 from 8, is that by upgrading to 8 you do not loose the validity of your 7 key.
    So you can just make a clean install of your Windows 7. In your case you need to buy a license or do what #2 suggest.

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  4. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    Many thanks.

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    You have incorrect information. You are only entitled to downgrade to Windows 7 if you buy a PC pre-installed with Windows 8. If you bought the Windows 8 upgrade because you have XP, you are not entitled to downgrade to 7.

Here is a more detailed explanation. There are a couple of different licencing arrangements of Windows 8, giving you different rights (including downgrade rights). If you buy the Windows 8 upgrade based on an older OS (such as XP), the licence you receive is a retail/upgrade version. If you buy a PC with Windows 8 pre-installed on it, the licence you receive is an OEM version. There are a few key differences between these two licences. For example, with a retail licence, product support for Windows 8 is provided to you by Microsoft. With an OEM licence, product support for Windows 8 is provided to you by the PC manufacturer. Another key difference is the downgrade right. The retail licence does not include a downgrade right, the OEM licence does.

The reason it works this way is because the downgrade right is primarly designed for the needs of businesses, not consumers. The idea is that a business might buy a new PC as part of upgrading their equipment, but may still wish to carry on using an older version of Windows, such as Windows 7, for their business critical application. Microsoft wants to give the business the chance to go ahead and buy a new PC but carry on being able to use Windows 7 on it.

When you upgrade Windows on an existing old PC to Windows 8, Microsoft doesn't want you (nor do they let you) to go back to an earlier version.

6. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    That's very clear, thank you. I'd misunderstood the downgrade but you've explained it nicely.

I think I'll follow the advice of steven4554. I'm quite miffed at Microsoft. I've wasted £46 on the Win 8 upgrade. My desire to pay for licensed software has diminished.

7. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    If you are upgrading from XP, then Windows 8 is a big improvement. You can just consider using it :)

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    When upgrading from XP to Win8 you cannot do an upgrade that keeps your files and applications though, it will save the old to windows.old for you to access. Just an FYI

9. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    hONESTLY, AFTER ABOUT A WEEK, IT IS VERY NICE AND EASY TO GET USED TO, YOU SHOULD REALLY GIVE IT A SHOT SEEING AS HOW YOU PAYED FOR IT :) edit:sorry, caps lock :p

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    indeed caps-lock! lol
    yeah if you go and pay for it, it would be nice to make use of it. Thats why I like to buy a new computer when a Windows version comes out. It lets me play lol

11. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, I did pay for it. It was slow, used excessive resources, randomly denied me access to folders and then Windows Update corrupted my HDD. That's why I want to try Windows 7.

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    "I've had XP running for a few years without problems. I was concerned about it going EOL so I took advantage of the of introductory price of Windows 8."

Even my Netbook runs W8 pretty nice.. (it's more responsive than 7 on my netbook too!) so unless it's not some Driver at fault and "Windows update corrupting your disc" is not even a Windows failure, better upgrade your PC or list specs, what you expirence is not normal, and i tell you, 7 will not consume less resources at all.
    List your specs!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    Specs:
    MB: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2
    RAM: 4GB
    CPU: AMD 7750 Dual Core 2.7Ghz
    SSD: KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-064MS
    Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

14. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    Thats about the same specs as my laptop that runs W8 better than any other OS, including 7, have you tried re-installing Windows? or is the HDD completely corrupt? my HDD just died the other month, same thing happened, got EXTREMELY slow, like, there was lag in the mouse moving even, then i replaced the HDD and got everything running buttery-smoothe, you should try that, because it might have just been s**tty timing... :p but W8 is great if you give it a chance :)

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm pretty sure my SSD is OK as I reinstalled XP and I'm using it now with no problems. Windows Update caused something bad to happen to my boot sector and I could only fix it by reformatting. Being fed up with Win8, I reformatted as XP.

17. Earthenware

Earthenware MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    I did a Crystal test and the SSD is a lot faster than my HDDs.

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    how about your ahci settings in your Bios? Is it set to automatic? W8 likes this more than IDE ... lol

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #20 Shenj, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    Hes "SSD" is a... IDE Connected SSD... lol
    Either way this discussion has now become pointless, Complainer didnt bother figuring out whats wrong went back to hes 10 year old os, Windows Update can not corrupt your damn boot sector :facepalm: