Confusing PC problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jakeeboy, Aug 29, 2020.

1. jakeeboy

jakeeboy MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2019
    Not the greatest techie so bare with me.Running win 7 64 bit. Everything was running fine until the mouse froze.Pressed the reset button and the monitor went black ans to standby,tried again to no avail.Shut the pc down waited a few minutes turned it on and no bootup the screen went black and then to standby.
    Noticed a couple of things,no power light on in front of case and no hhd light on also.Reseated all cables,memory ,graphics card etc to no avail. Motherboard problem? Bios problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Remove everything else and let only the mouse, keyboard and monitor remain.
    Run it and if does not start, try starting in safe mode.
    If for some reason this is not possible, also remove all hard drives and launch the BIOS setup menu.
    When it starts, check that all the settings are correct. If not, reset.
    If it doesn't start at all, even to BIOS menu, tell us what error messages you get, if at all. Check, if the power suply itself works if everything has been removed.
    Of course, it would be nice if you could talk a little bit about what kind of computer it is, when Windows is installed on it, and so on.
    It is very difficult to guess what is wrong if there is no basic information.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Check your system PSU first.

4. jakeeboy

jakeeboy MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2019

5. jakeeboy

jakeeboy MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2019
    I will try that. thank you for your imput. Also it's and old Digital Strorm rig with socket 775 Win 7 and an Asus R9270 with 8GB ram. Plays Skyrim which I love with 102 mods installed.

6. arshadme

arshadme MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2020
    1.pull out the battery from its socket. wait for two minutes. power on ur pc without battery.
    2. clean RAM with soft eraser smoothly. then put them into slots one by one. do not install all RAMS at once. make confirmation that all RAMS are in working conditions. if RAMS and graphic card has changed its golden color then replace them.
    once system displays. install battery. power on pc. go to BIOS . set them as default bios . set date and time. save all settings. restart.

7. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    My opinion ...... Three ways to go ---- >

1 - Throw it away .

2 - Or ...... Take everything out of it it doesnt need to run ....... cards ........ usb ....... and ?

3 - Re start

4 - If it wont start ........ re start and try to get into bios ........ and then check the settings ......... If it wont go into bios throw it away

5 - Try another PSU and changing the cards / components ......... one at a time ...... if it doesnt work throw it away ........ and :) ---- > This is a standard procedure ........ but you have a chance of wrecking all the exchanged parts ........ putting good working parts into a broken computer can break them :) = Problem not solved and loads of cash gone :)

6 - Throw it away :) ........ there are USB computer sticks and things like Raspeberry Pi that cost less than 200 Es / Quid ........ and a reliable computer workshop repair would cost about the same .

8. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Sounds to me like a bad PSU or mobo crap out.

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Dead video card I suspect!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Maybe the daleks ?
    Or the borg !!!
    Or the tooth fairy had an argunment with spider man and superman did it behind their backs to cause trouble ?

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Blame President:wub:Trump. Him gets de blame for everything else o_O

12. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    you never did say if your bios was working, does it even beep when trying to start it? if it doesnt i would start off with the PSU , if it does beep how many beeps are there ?

13. jakeeboy

jakeeboy MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2019
    Tested Pno postSU with another PSU still won't post. Did the Ram one at a time still no luck.Same with graphics card. Disconnected all hardware still no luck. Wonder if it is my cpu ?

System Configuration:
    Case: SilverStone TJO4B-W Tenjin ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz (1333MHz FSB) (6MB Cache)
    Motherboard:EVGA nVidia 680i LT Core 2 Quad (nForce 680i LT SLI)
    Memory: 8 GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator DHX (Extreme-Performance)
    Floppy / Card: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
    Hard Drive 1:WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
    Hard Drive 2: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)

Optical Drive : Plextor PX891SA DvD-Rw

Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
    Video Card: ASUS Radeon R9 270 DirectX 11.2 2GB 256-BitGDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Prolly was a Beast back in early Vista Days, Now it's 12+ years old :( Bat guessing dat it could be bad capacitors on the MOBO. Look at those closest to de CPU socket. May also be the CPU? What type of cooler is it running? Know last time de thermal past was changed? If you know somebody dat could fix it FREEEE/Really Cheap it might be worth taking a shot but considering the age of de components I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into fixing it.

15. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    cpus go 4ever unless abused
    id check ur motherboad 1st they do just "die" esp @ that age (sounds bout 10 yrs ?)
    s775 boards can b hard 2 find but r cheap as chips

16. mal

mal MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    Do the lights on the keyboard flash when you press the start button? [post]
    Do any of the fans run?
    I had a computer do that once. I was browsing the net and my mouse "stopped? Turned out the m/b was dead as a loaf of bread.

17. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    ..and can be abused as I've be running my Intel core duo E8400 @ 3000Mhz for donkey's years.

18. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    #18 bear_aussie, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    mate of mine has an fx8350
    hed already had it years so figured 2 run it 2 death
    so he oc'd it 2 like 5.3ghz in 2016
    said "when it blows up ill get zen"
    nr 5y l8er hes still waiting 4 his ryzen :roll1:

19. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #19 3sidedcube, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    jakeeboy

That sound's to me as tho your power supply unit has kicked the bucket."is broken"
    try a different psu one that's rated for your referrals in your system 500Watt - 750Watt -1000Watt . borrow a friend's if you can first just so that you are not forking out of your pocket.
    if you get the same result's then ether your motherboard has a defect and need's replacing.

ohhhh necroed

side note hello there excal and bear... :) where is impact and shinobi ?

20. jakeeboy

jakeeboy MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2019
    PSU was tested and is shot,which ruined the MoBo as per my computer repair tech. Says it's not worth putting money in to it. I agree and it's time to move on. I love win 7 and I hate to go to Win 10. Maybe with a new rig I will be able to dual boot if possible. HDD was tested and ok so I just need to install it and hopefully be able to dual boot. If Microsoft allows. Anyways a BUMMER.. Thank you all for the help. This is a great forum.If I will be able to have dual booting I will sure as hell have alot of questions on how to do it. Again,thanks folks.