Confusion on my edition of windows

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryouga, May 3, 2015.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I got a laptop with Windows 8 last year, I forgot to get key before installing a generic oem so all this time have just kms activated it.

I recently used guardians tool and found the key from slic, added a PID.txt to sources directory to bypass install asking for key, that worked fine and after a reinstall I went to activate and was told I could not use my key for this version of windows.

I assume since it bypassed the 8.1 key prompt on install its a 8.1 key so what is the issue?

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. oh

oh MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    Mr.x's

Mr.x's always a grateful heart. The best recognized function jangim. Thanks:D

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Excuse me what is jangim? :D

5. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks, found out its a key for core edition, quick last question. what difference in filesize in a esd would I get for having just a core and pro index, just as want to fit on a single layer disc(yes I know I can use a usb but prefer dvd rw)

Oh make that 2 questions, since there will be 2 editions how will that affect a PID and ei.cfg I want to make as I want to bypass product key entry, I assume the only other way is to just skip it and add it in windows

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Then you must install Windows 8.1 Core edition, not Pro or any other one. This way you will be able to OEM activate your new installation even without Multi-OEM project, i.e., manually within Windows running already.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #8 Mr.X, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    • Delete PID.txt
    • Just put ei.cfg
      Code:
      [EditionID]

[Channel]
      Retail

[VL]
    • Now you can choose between Core and Pro editions
    • When Windows setup program asks for a key just press SKIP

8. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks, it was just because I didnt get a COA sticker with laptop I didnt want to run query tool everytime I wanted to get the key and my other pc which has professional oem key also doesnt have sticker(bought it from MS direct) Guess what I will have to do is just put the keys in a text document so I can just copy and paste into windows activation.

I suppose theres one last query, is Windows 8.1 like 7 that after a certain amount of activations it wants you to use phone activation? Because I reinstall around every 4-6 weeks they will be used up fast.