Connecting mobile devices to work with Local test Domain

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dinesh_s, Aug 26, 2013.

1. dinesh_s

dinesh_s MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi all,
    I have configured a Exchange server on a Windows Domain(Its a Local Domain for ex:symc.local) and this Domain controller uses a test IP address. So the DNS server also has the test IP address. This Domain is created for the testing purpose. I can have the mail flow in Windows client connected to this Domain. Say for example i have connected two client machines to this Domain and have configured Outlook to the Exchange server. This works as the Client machines are in the Same LAN and i can send E-mail to this different clients
    Whereas in Mobile i can't connect to this Domain as the DNS server won't reach via Internet. Is there a way to connect to the Domain which has the Local IP address and i need to configure the Exchange Active sync in Mobile device to my test Exchange server?

Please tell me some tips to proceed how to join a Mobile to my test domain

Looking for your valuable comments
    Thanks

2. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    DNS..............for a change.................

I take it that, the Domain is a "fake" one that only exists internally (inside the NAT with private addresses). That being the case, from the outside, forget it WITH DNS.

So, tell me first if I am in the right context and I may have a trick.

3. dinesh_s

dinesh_s MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    Right. Its a Domain created for testing purpose internally. So Do i require a Public IP for connecting a mobile to the Domain. Can you please tell me how to proceed to connect a mobile to this Domain

4. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    If you want to use an Android phone, Windows phone or iPhone, from the inside will be easy and straight forward.
    I take it you want the email sync from the Exchange server?????

From the outside....................more complex. Could be done using secure SMTP and secure POP, I would not used unsecured connections...............no way. But the sync will not occur.

So, if you are happy to test Exchange email from the inside, then is a question of getting the particular mobile phone and setting the email account, internally, using exchange type connection. When prompted for mail server (incoming or outgoing) use the IP address rather than the domain name with its corresponding host name (host means the mail server name).

5. dinesh_s

dinesh_s MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    #5 dinesh_s, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks buddy. Can you give me a row of steps which can clearly explain me how to join a mobile to Windows server Domain? Say for Example we can join windows client machine to a Windows server domain. But i am very confused how to join a mobile devices to a Windows server domain. We need some VPN kind of connection right to connect to the Windows Domain. In companies they give a Mobile device with some profile created and using that profile only users are able to connect to the Windows Domain

Can you please help me how it is done by giving some steps on the same?