Consensus on Windows Genuine Advantage

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RyderMDL, May 18, 2014.

1. RyderMDL

RyderMDL MDL Novice

May 18, 2014
    Hello All.

First, please forgive if this is covered in a FAQ or sticky post somewhere... if it is, I would be grateful if you could simply point me to it. I did a quick look for it, but didn't see it.

I have, on principle alone, decided to NOT let Win 7 install windows genuine advantage... I don't want an inforcer program on my system... because it's just an insult. It plain pisses me off (and I don't trust Microsoft)

But I'll be damned if somehow windows performed a full windows update without my permission following a system crash.

Now I see the "Windows is activated" and product ID, as well as the "genuine" logo on my system properties.

:mad2:

Anyway, my system seems fine, but dammit, I want it OFF.

What I don't want to do, is cause damage to win 7 in the process.

Is there some form of consensus as to how best to remove WGA from a *legit* system? I don't want to hack it up, just remove it.

I did go to a system restore from yesterday, hoping that would do it, and at first it seemed to... but I'll be damned if it didn't reappear after the next reboot.

Yes, I'm pissed. Please accept apologies for my attitude about it.

Pointers to safe, legitimate removal are appreciated.

All the best,

R

2. RyderMDL

RyderMDL MDL Novice

May 18, 2014
    Oh, and interestingly... why is there *no record* of the WGA install in the "view update history"? Nor can it be found in "installed updates".

This is why I don't trust Microsoft... going to those extremes to HIDE the fact that it installed, is reason enough to not have it.

Grrrr...

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    What are you talking about? The "Ask for Genuine Microsoft software" badge? That one is ALWAYS there if Windows 7 is activated. Actually you should be concerned if it is not there.

Has nothing to do with the KB971033 update. Note that you might have to validate your system one day, that process will install the update.

4. RyderMDL

RyderMDL MDL Novice

May 18, 2014
    Hi Carlos,

Hmmm.... well, it went this way. For years I simply did not install the WGA update... and then yesterday, somehow, all updates were installed, and it is no longer in the Install updates list... so I assume that it installed.

But frankly, I don't know how to check.

Yes, there is a badge there... so that's good.

And I don't mean to be contrary, but when I Google WGA, there is lots of talk about that update. In fact, KB971033 "genuine advantage" coughs up no less than 44,400 hits.

Perhaps its a rumor that spread somehow, that is in error.

Ok, I just checked... MS Support page for KB971033

"...an update available to the activation and validation components in Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7."

So it certainly is related.

Thanks for the reply!

R

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Look for a directory %windir%\System32\Wat\ - If it exists and has [npWatWeb.dll;WatAdminSvc.exe;WatUX.exe;WatWeb.dll] inside KB971033 is installed.

Alternatively, make an MGADiag report and copy to an editor. If you see the files mentioned above listed with an error code 0x80070002 or 0x80070003 then KB971033 is NOT installed.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well you are in for a shock WGA is the least of your problems every time you install windows updates, reports are sent back to M$ been that way for years. No actual individual data but machine specs e.c.t.

Anyway I would rather have an activation method that complies with WGA than one that tries to hack it by removal or altering system files. :rolleyes: