"Consider Replacing your battery" Error in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anonymous_surfer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. anonymous_surfer

anonymous_surfer MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi,

I have a dell Inspiron 1520 and installed Windows 2 months ago. Today when I switched it on, it shows a red wrong on the battery in system tray and says "Consider Replacing your battery" There is a problem with your battery. So your computer might shut down suddenly. Can I know what might be the problem? :(

2. NOS911

NOS911 MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2009
    To put it simply you need a new battery...

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    nice transalation dude:D
    yeah if u r batty have been doing the work for years, maybe it reached its end

4. hwertz

hwertz MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    First post! :rolleyes:

Also.. yeah your battery is wearing out. Ubuntu has a much more informative message: "Battery has a very low capacity (49.4%), which means that it may be old or broken."

Why does it happen? I think due to fast charging! I had an old Gateway, that thing took like 8 hours to charge the battery. But the battery was almost 10 years old and still held an 80% charge! Charging a battery in 45 minutes or an hour is not good for it, but the market has spoken, and decided people would rather have batteries that wear out in a few years than wait for the battery to charge.

5. nemdean

nemdean MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    I think its dell and something detecting this

Unplug the mains
    note the battery power reading
    shut down (off)
    Wait 5 mins
    take the battery out
    Power in
    Boot to normal Se7en desktop
    Open Windows explorer or something just so its working
    Shut down
    Wait 5 mins
    Replace Battery
    Boot batter only
    See the reading for power now

Any different? Has the warning message gone on this boot

Just a way to stop the message i am not giving any advice on the battery at all

6. anonymous_surfer

Jan 9, 2012
    My battery is almost 3 years old by now. So I should not charge a battery continuously for 45 minutes?

7. anonymous_surfer

Jan 9, 2012

Can you please tell me how to check the battery power? When I turned my laptop, I see 5 LEDs on the battery part. So is it possible for me to check the battery capacity? But how?

Does windows 7 have the ability to reduce battery life? It just happened 2 months after installing windows 7. Till then, I used xp and vista and had no problems. From that I doubt it has something to do with win 7. Is it right? And now the error has started, how long will my battery stand? What can i do to save it from further damage?

8. nice_guy75

nice_guy75 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    If you have some Dell applications and utilities installed in your system, you better uninstall those. I had similar problem in my Vaio and I uninstalled all the utilities and applications of Sony and now its working like charm.