Considering a Windows phone, a few questions

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Myrrh, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #1 Myrrh, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    A few questions regarding the current Windows Phones, would like to get some input from those who actually use it. I have a family member currently be on the iOS platform which while easy to use, is too restrictive; thinks she wants a Windows phone but my expertise extends only to desktop, server and tablet varieties of Windows so I'm not sure what to recommend.

- How much like "real" Windows is it? Does the similarity start and end with the Start Screen and its live tiles, or is there more to it than that? Is there a desktop?
    - Can it access a Windows-based network? Shared folders and printers? Connect to domain? VPN? Or do I have to save documents to a cloud service in order to access them?
    - Does it have Office capability and how good is it?
    - Is the browser a crippled mobile version or more like desktop IE?
    - How capable is the implementation of Exchange ActiveSync?

I'm sure there are more questions to come, but this is a start.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    #2 Paiva, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    - How much like "real" Windows is it? Does the similarity start and end with the Start Screen and its live tiles, or is there more to it than that? Is there a desktop?
    Windows Phone is like Windows. But how is a mobile system has its limitations.

Code:
    - Does it have Office capability and how good is it?
    It comes with the Office suite ready to work. Very good suite.

Code:
    - Is the browser a crippled mobile version or more like desktop IE?
    The mobile version IE is very good.

Works well.

You can also install UCBrowser. :smokecowboy:

3. fat_luck_cat

fat_luck_cat MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I use WP8 nokia lumia 920, and love it very much.
    Almost all the functions you list without problem.

And it has free cloud service called skydrive, supports by MicroSoft,

Office capability , of course, come with genuine and free office(excel, word, PPT)supported by MicroSoft

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    An update:

I downloaded and installed the Windows Phone SDK which includes an emulator. I was able to setup my email accounts and play with the browser, basically anything that doesn't require logging in to your MS account is functional. It looks like Office will talk to SharePoint so I can setup one of those on my network because I sure don't want to migrate everything to SkyDrive.

There is no connection to windows shares or active directory, and no desktop that I have found. Also surprisingly, no Remote Desktop client.

I may end up getting one of these myself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...