Considering Upgrade from Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IamKangy, Nov 11, 2018.

1. IamKangy

IamKangy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2018
    So I am considering upgrading my laptop from Win 7 to Win 10. However I am concerned with the Win 10 Updates. I like how in previous version you can easily disable updates within the Control Panel. But I know for Win 10 you can't easily do that. I know you can stop and disable to updates in services.msc however, they do automatically turn themselves back on. And I don't want that (and I know the risks of not having auto updates turned on).

Is there any way to have it so it would not turn itself back on for updates? At the moment this is the only thing that is stopping me from upgrading.

My main issue is that my internet is through a hot-spot on my phone and here in Australia we do not have unlimited data on our phones like in some countries.

Any advice or suggestions would be grateful. Thanks.

2. ashish.k

ashish.k MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /D 1 /T REG_DWORD /F
    You would still be able to manually click and "check for updates".
    Make the value 0 if u wanna enable again.
    BTW this has been there for win10 since 2015.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Above trick is cute but the introduced Update Hijackers will simply over-ride this setting if needed :cool2:.

The forums offers several options (tools) to mitigate this issue. Check the new WUManager by @DavidXanatos and the Wrapper by @pf100. Additionally there is also a solution by @BALTAGY (StopWinUpdates).

No need to worry. A full image backup is still recommend though, it's at least Windows :D.

EDIT: Furthermore; set your connection to metered.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ashish.k

Dec 27, 2014
    The override never happened to me since v1507 till v1803. Multiple clean installs and PCs but sure maybe could happen I guess.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Try to use any version till it's EOL :cool2:. Had this on 1607 and the amount of Update Hijackers (in logarythmic progression) trying to 'Feature Update' the system to my own best was ridiculous. Switched to LTSB now LTSC for exactly that reason.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ashish.k

Dec 27, 2014
    Oh maybe, I never used any consumer editions until EOL or later. Always used LTSB on my main machine and always clean installed consumer feature upgrades on other PCs as and when needed.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @IamKangy: Read as much as you can in the Windows 10 forum before you upgrade.

Then, you'll be prepared to deal with whatever problems arise.

8. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    obviously. :)

even on broadband