Consumer preview force MBR install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xtrinity, Mar 4, 2012.

1. xtrinity

xtrinity MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm having an issue where Windows 8 CP boots up in UEFI mode and therefore unable to install into my MBR partitioned disk. I believe its attempting to install into a GPT partition. Anyone know of a way to force booting as MBR?

I am on a Macbook Pro 13, mid 2010. The USB install stick works perfect otherwise on Windows machines.

2. TFN

TFN MDL Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Install it using bootcamp, Mac is using a pure EFI bootloader, if Windows 8 do not recognize a BIOS capable PC it won't allow you to use a MBR partition to install.

3. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    But why are you using MBR partitioning on a MacBook Pro? (OS X also requires GPT.)

4. DarkNovaGamer

DarkNovaGamer MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    Actually OS X can run on MBR, there are patches out there to allow the installer to install to a drive with the MBR scheme. Though its mostly used for Hackintoshes.

5. TFN

TFN MDL Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #5 TFN, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Your problem can be solved by usig Imagex to install Windows (If you don't know how to use it Google it) you need Windows Consumer Preview ADK and a Windows To Go Pendrive (same thing, Google it or search an old thread here on MDL where I explained How to create one).
    From Mac OS X go into Disk utility and create 2 partitions, one [let's call it Partition Y]of >=100MB (FAT) one [Partition X]of at least 16 GB (NTFS).
    Boot the Windows To Go Pendrive, format again the NTFS partition using Disk Management (in Windows) expand the Install.Wim image inside this partition.
    After you installed WCP on the Macbook HD run CMD as administrator from the Windows To Go pendrive and Type:
    Code:
    bcdboot x:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI
    now restart and boot the internal Windows Y partition.
    It should work, but it might have problems during the first boot (Windows is not designedto run on a mac)