controlling balloon tips selectively

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by schmibble, Apr 20, 2013.

1. schmibble

schmibble MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2012
    I don't want to get rid of Win7 balloon tips altogether, just some of them, and control the content of others.

I don't want...
    * the annoying tray (or what used to be called the tray) popups telling me I have security problems etc.
    * Any Start-menu balloon tips except maybe the Orb tip (since I can customize that with a cheeky message)

but I do want...
    * the smaller balloon tips on the tray that label the icons
    * Explorer folder tips, though I want to eliminate the date and time info that shows first--I find them useless; what I want to see is the size and content info that comes afterward.

Exhaustive web searches reveal mile after mile of so-called "tips sites" that just peddle the standard GUI methods of enabling/disabling tips as if they were actually offering useful information instead of something everyone already knows. (OK, they help utter noobs, but I'm getting cynical at this point.) Perseverance eventually netted the following registry keys, which the original author (I no longer have the page) claimed would work in 7...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    ; AND REPEAT THE SAME FOR HKCU IF THIS DOESN'T WORK
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000
    "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000
    "StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000000
    "FolderContentsInfoTip"=dword:00000000

...but again these keys apparently serve only to disable/enable, not control content as I'd like to for Explorer folders. In addition, he was not specific on exactly what disables what, an issue that remains unresolved. For example, StartButtonBalloonTip is not (presumably, though you never can tell with Microsoft) going to affect Explorer folder tips, but there's no telling whether it affects start-menu Programs folders, all Start-menu items, or only the orb. And I can't find any further info on this. I don't really want to do a bunch of experimenting if I don't have to--I like a good reghack but there's always that slight risk of corruption--so does anyone here have more specific info on controlling balloon tips than just the standard sledgehammer?

2. schmibble

schmibble MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2012
    Er, anyone? I'm not afraid of Resource Hacker, if someone happens to know which exe or dll controls balloon tips...