Convert ESD to WIM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by luky, Nov 16, 2012.

1. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    Guys help? how to change file install.esd in install.wim? (Windows 8 PRO ). :confused:

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can't, Microsoft does not provide a tool to unpack .esd as far as i know

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Not sure but use DISM.exe included in that build under "sources" folder

6. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    #6 Please-8, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Here (gravycode.com/what-is-a-esd-file-windows-8) it written, that the "CryptoKey" can be found in an XML file:
    Code:
    <CryptoKey>[..............CUT..............]<CryptoKey>
    So somebody can test how to use it to decrypt ESD file.

7. swamp3

swamp3 MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    it's relatively easy. Install Win8 in vbox (vhd). sysprep win8. mount vhd in windows and capture installation with imagex to install.wim. replace install.esd with install.wim and you are done - the encryption is gone:biggrin:

8. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I've done the sysprep method on the Upgrade ISO, but if RTM ISO's take upgrade keys, then what would be the purpose of converting an Upgrade ISO? I guess that would be my main question.

9. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    #9 Please-8, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    In this message (hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/38801-format-esd?p=662153&viewfull=1#post662153) user "LostED" shows a download protocol (?) with these lines:
    Code:
    CONX   Downloaded File: [ C:\Users\user34\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup\Download\WinPayload.esd ]
    CONX   Decrypted File: [ C:\Users\user34\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup\Download\WinPayload.esd.decrypt ]
    It seems to me that the downloaded file "WinPayload.esd" exists temporary as "WinPayload.esd.decrypt".
    So: Can we stop the deleting of "WinPayload.esd.decrypt" and rename the extension to ISO, ZIP or RAR ?

I just try to download and give folder:
    C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup\Download\
    all rights. But denied permission of deleting files. Let's see what happens ...

10. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    If you take away delete permissions or hardlink the file before it gets deleted you should be able to keep it, yeah. Still, it's going to be just the same as the .wim on the DVD, I imagine.

11. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I'm going crazy here. How do I assign a letter to the VHD? Disk management doesn't give me the option,
    and diskpart won't do what every guide on the net tells me it should be able to do..
    cmd.png
    Disabling the pagefile doesn't make any difference.

What am I doing wrong?

12. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    do you mean the "change drive letter" in diskmanager dose not work ? and you are logged in as admin ? did you also try to remove (not delete ) the vhd from VBOX disk manager?

13. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    You cannot assign a drive letter to a disk - you only can assign a drive letter to a partition.

So you need to create a partition. Then you can assign a drive letter to this partition.

attach vdisk
    create part primary
    assign letter=x

14. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    This does not work. With denied deleting permission the download ends with "Download not successfully".

But I see:
    • Whilst downloading a "*.tmp" file is created in download folder.
    • Whilst download shows 95% the "*.tmp" file is renamed into "WinPayload.esd". And no network traffic is shown for the rest of 5% download time.
    • Then the file "WinPayload.esd.decrypt" appears.
    • At this time folder "C:\ESD\Windows" is empty.
    • After download is completed "WinPayload.esd" disappears.
    • Extraction of "WinPayload.esd.decrypt" fills folder "C:\ESD\Windows"
    • After extraction in "C:\ESD\Windows" is completed "WinPayload.esd.decrypt" is deleted.
    All these files have exact same file size - but different hash codes:
    • Windows8-ProESDwithApps-64bit-EnglishUnitedKingdom-X1816623.esd
    • WinPayload.esd
    • WinPayload.esd.decrypt
    Neither "WinPayload.esd" nor "WinPayload.esd.decrypt" can be open with "7zip" as ISO, ZIP or RAR.

15. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #15 SL2, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    It's not even there.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    It's a partition, created by Vbox, just like swamp3 suggested.
    Edit: Well I'm trying to install updates and remove components, not really the same thing, but I guess that doesn't make much difference here.

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010

"attach vdisk" will mount your VHD, also you can simply double-click a VHD file in explorer to mount it.

17. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Yes I can do that, but I'm not able to assign a letter.
    cmd.png

18. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    OK - when the partition exist, then you must select it:

attach vdisk
    list part (shows partition numbers; e.g. partition 1)
    select part 1
    assign letter=x

19. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I used takeown/icacls, then tried the same thing again, still didn't work. So I detached and left it as it was.

Came back just to try what Please-8 said. But I only got to attack vdisk and suddenly two new partitions popped up in explorer.

Thank you all for your help!:worthy:

20. mykee

mykee MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    @Please-8: Sorry, I cannot open any WinPayload files with any program. o_O Tried with UltraISO, WinRAR.