Convert Physical XP Drive to VM if XP Drive wont boot?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by MrChris, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I have an old HDD that has WinXP on it that wont boot bc the mobo that it ran on died. I replaced the mobo with a much newer mobo and have w7 installed on it etc.. all that is working just fine. The issue I now have is there was settings in the XP OS that I need to look at to get copied onto the new Win7 system.

I know of P2V but I think that requires that the XP HDD be bootable to install the P2V agent on which I cannot do becuase of different chipset etc..

My question is how can I convert the XP HDD image or whatever to a VM so that I can boot the XP OS and look around inside of it?

Thanks,

~MC

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you could always boot to a live-cd/usb and mount the HDD and browse the files. if that helps and I am understanding correctly.

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I can already access the files by adding the drive as secondary drive to the win7 system. I am needing to look at a few settings that are in a GUI of an app that is installed and can not find the settings in the offline reg or any binary files anywhere. But thanks for the reply.

4. TorpedoJavi

TorpedoJavi MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    You can use FalconFour CD (Serach on google)

It has an utility called fix_hdc that will fix boot problems related with change of disc controllers (motherboard) in windows XP.

It's included the MiniXP.

5. TorpedoJavi

TorpedoJavi MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    It's also included in Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (search with google) on the Registry Tools.