Converting free (pirated) Win8 WMC to legit Windows 8 pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by papagoejoe, Jan 6, 2013.

1. papagoejoe

papagoejoe MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
  2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Wipe and reinstall clean, thats my opinion.

3. papagoejoe

papagoejoe MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Well, sure that would be a safer option, but where is the fun in that :biggrin:

I figure in worst case scenario, I get an error message saying the key isn't valid for this version of windows, and then I have to wipe a reinstall. Several people have gotten messages like that, but no one have reported problems with activating their windows afterwards, so I might as well try, right?

Or am I totally missing something?

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Why are you posting this when you already know what do to.. just do it? You can only get your key blacklisted by sharing it on the internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. papagoejoe

papagoejoe MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    #5 papagoejoe, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    (OP)
    Well, excuse me for doing so. I figured since this was a forum to get "Technical support or share tips and tricks on Windows 8", this was a relevant post. I know a lot of users here are going to make the switch, and possibly someone has already done so, so I wondered if anyone had some tips or tricks.

For instance you just told me, that my key could only be blacklisted if I shared it, which I didn't know, so I'm already smarter now, and you have practically answered your own question.. Thank you :)

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Your key(s) will not be blacklisted,i can confirm this,i have shared multiple WMC keys with friends and they with their friends on the internet,NONE BLACKLISTED(so far :rolleyes: ),even after multiple installs with same keys.
    Do not be afraid to experiment,just do it :D

7. papagoejoe

papagoejoe MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    #7 papagoejoe, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Actually that went easier than I expected :mml:

UpDown8 didn't work for me, so I had to do it manually as described here: hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/35827-Windows-8-FAQ?p=619324&viewfull=1#post619324

I then proceeded to remove the activation files in the store folder (although that probably wasn't necessary), popped in my WINDOWS.8.PROFESSIONAL.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD and chose to do an upgrade and keep my files, settings and apps.

When the installation asked for a key, I entered my legit $15 upgrade key, and after the installation I only had to re-enter the basic settings for location platform, smart screen filter and so forth and choose to keep using my local account, and after that I was activated and everything was back the way it was, account picture, start screen and everything :cool:.

Only thing lost is seems to be my WiFi keys.

EDIT: Wireless keys does not seem to be lost. I only had to enter a network key in the initial Windows setup.