Converting W2k8 to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by stukan, Jul 13, 2009.

1. stukan

stukan MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    I have purchased a desktop HP-F2210 All-in-One printer/scanner but Windows Server 2008 refused to install the printer Apllications/Drivers. I am thinking of converting the w2k8 to vista to install the printer driver/applications and change it back afterwards. Can anyone help?

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Now you know, hp printer drivers are crap. Especially the all-in-one devices.

did you try running it in "compatibility mode" for "Windows Vista" ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    What do you expect for a Walmart $29 printer?

All that HP bloatware causes nothing but problems. If you just bought it, take it back, or call HP for support, if they will even support it in 2K8.

What you are suggesting makes no sense, if the drivers don't work in 2K8, no conversion (or what ever you are actually referring to) is going to magically make them work.

Btw if you want to see how useless & frustrating HP's "consumer grade" (aka "cheap") printers are, do a search in google with the following words "HP printer keeps reinstalling" without the quotes. Last count was about 116,000. Thats a lot of people having problems with cheap HP printers.

You get what you pay for folks...:rolleyes:....

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Fully agree with FuzzyMaster. That's what I was trying to say but he was more eloquent about it. :)

You can probably find a simplified "print only" driver that is compatible with the device on HP's website. I've got a F380 on my server using such a driver, the scan module gets used only when I need a color copy machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dreamdx

dreamdx MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2007
    Nice replys you got here...

You cant just workstation"ate" 2k8 and expect the driver to work.
    First off all you would need to boot in test-mode, then sign the drivers with a new certificate and get around the signature checks.

Atleast thats what was neccessary to get the eHome vista x64 drivers working on 2008x64 ;)

6. stukan

stukan MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    There are other applications refused to be install on a Sever OS. Norton Internet Security being another one and plenty more.

I want to test if by converting w2k8 to Vista to install these applications and back to see if I can bypass the limitation.

I have successfully run a program to convert w2k8 to Vista (by changing token.dat ...etc) and need help to convert it back!

I want to understand how to convert between w2k8 and Vista! Can anyone help?

7. stukan

stukan MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    I have successfully convert w2k8 to Vista by changing the token.dat file and the product key. HP printer Driver/Application Suite was successfully installed and work perfectly after converting back to w2k8. The method is a complete success.

8. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Sounds like pure BS to me.

If you want to run Vista apps then just run Vista, why bother running a server OS if you are just going to run desktop apps on it?

9. stukan

stukan MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    Why bother to know why other want to run Vista apps on w2k8 if you dont like it???

10. AshenTech

AshenTech MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2008
    converting wont work if you got sp2 installed(least i havent been able to do it since sp2)

Your best/only option may be to use the IT drivers and just live without having scaner and some of the other advanced features.

If the printer has a network port, you can still use the scaner from the printers web menu(look up the info on how to find that on your printer it should be well documented the 2 office jets we have here are)

I actually find the lack of excess bulls**t in the server/it drivers refreshing and nice compared to everybodys desktop drivers that have tray icons and s**t that just annoy the f**k out of me!!!

11. AshenTech

AshenTech MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2008
    because some of us dont feel like spending alot of time tweaking vista services and s**t to get it to run lie it should.

MS GAVE ME VISTA ULTIMATE and 2008 ent FREE, I use only one of them, infact i gave vista U to a buddy who then tried server 2008 and he went and got a technet acct so he could get a key for server(cheaper then buying server by itself)

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    changing tokens.dat and pkey-config doesn't change a server OS to vista it just uses the vista activation.

If it doesn't run on Server 2008 then it doesn't run on Server 2008 period. Just changing an activation scheme isn't going to magically make something work.

13. AshenTech

AshenTech MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2008
    fact is if it runs on vista, it runs on 2k8, the are at the core the same os, the problem is that installers for alot of "consumer level" apps dont allow use on servers, because they have a server edition thats 10-100-1000x the price, so whats it matter if you change the ID of the os to get some stuff installed, then swap back?

Hell I did that with server 2003 on a few apps because i wasnt gonna spend 3k for the server version of an app i already had the workstation version of.

with 2k3 it was easier tho, just use tweakNT and restart, install apps, tweaknt again back to server, restart done.