Copy Vista built-in x64 driver for Win7 install?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by twobox, Aug 11, 2009.

1. twobox

twobox MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Hi All,

I failed to clean install Win7 x64 for some scsi card. This card can be used on Vista x64. In other words, Win7 removes several drivers which supported by Vista. I did searching related driver already. Just found win2k unsigned driver only (inf sys) except Vista built-in driver. I tried to copy related (.inf .sys) of Vista for Win7 installation. But, It's impossible without full digital signed set (.inf .sys .cat). It just showed "No signed device drivers". And, I can't find related cat file and "CatalogFile=xxxxx.cat" in inf file also. Upgrading from Vista x64 may be a solution. But, I would prefer to "clean install" than "Upgrade". If you know how to solve this issue, please kindly let me know.

Many Thanks,
    twobox

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Strange, those drivers should be signed, since Vista x64 always wanted signed ones.

3. twobox

twobox MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    xxxxx.sys would be signed without problem. But, you can check inf file of vista built-in x64 driver, "Catalogfile=xxxxx.cat" item can't be found. Full digital signed set would include (.inf .sys .cat) at least. It can't be installed without .cat file for Win7 x64. I don't know how to get it and fix "CatalogFile=" issue.

Regards,
    twobox

4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Don't you have those drivers as an exe files?
    Win7 x64 works with Vista x64 signed drivers, no need for them to be specially signed for 7.

5. twobox

twobox MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    As I said at first post of this thread, I just found win2k driver only. ;) In other words, I tried google for searching vista x64 driver of this card but not found. That's why I tried to find vista "built-in" x64 driver for Win7 installation. :)

Regards,
    twobox

6. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
  7. twobox

twobox MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks for your suggestion! :)

I knew this method. But, I would not like to use tool to remove test mode watermark and boot related issue (disable driver signature enforcement). In addition, I would boot the hdd of this scsi card. It seems "Load driver" just allow signed driver when Win7 setup program is starting (even I tried to press F8 and "disable driver signature enforcement").

Regards,
    twobox

8. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Thats odd.I use several unsigned drivers with Win7 x64 and win7 does not complain about any of them.Normal boot etc.

Since i never used Vista x64 i cant compare

9. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
  10. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Post the full Device ID string from device manager -> properties -> Details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #16 Myrrh, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. oopsilon

oopsilon MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm cross-posting this from a posting I just wrote on the technet boards since having a permalink is pretty useful:

Also, pardon the lack of links -- the forum software won't let me link without 2 or more posts!

------------
    My hardware setup:
    Phenom II x4 955, Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Tekram DC-390U3W PCI SCSI adapter (LSI 53C1010 chipset)
    Multiple hard drives attached to an SAS controller, onboard SATA, and one attached to the 53C1010

1. I extracted the LSI drivers from a Vista x64 disk (SYM_U3.INF, SYM_U3.PNF, SYM_U3.SYS, etc.) to a local directory.
    2. I extracted all the Windows 7 (x64) files from the ISO file to (another) local directory.
    3. Opened up vLite and had that integrate the LSI drivers into the Windows 7 installation directory, then created a new bootable ISO.
    4. Burn ISO to DVD, try installing Windows 7

Now here's where it gets interesting. Even though the Vista x64 LSI driver was integrated into the Win7 disc, the drive attached to the controller still wasn't detected by the Win7 setup. I'm not sure if it matters, but I ran the Win7 setup in Test Mode (with F8 at startup).

One thing I did which may or may not matter is I also had the Vista x64 LSI drivers on a USB key and had used "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider" to add a digital signature to the SYM_U3.SYS file from another Windows 7 machine. I don't believe it worked since the Win7 setup complained that it couldn't find any drivers with a valid digital signature even while in test mode.

5. Install Windows 7 anyway (to a different partition -- I had intended to install it to the drive attached to the 53C1010)
    6. Post-install on first boot, say "Yes" (or whatever to that effect) when Windows 7 asks "Do you want to use the unsigned driver"?

From this point on, this Windows 7 install was able to see the LSI 53C1010 device, and I was able to use the drive after assigning it a drive letter in Disk Management.

Out of curiosity, since I still wanted Windows 7 to run off of that particular SCSI drive -- Atlas 10K V drives are quite snappy -- I ran the Windows 7 setup AGAIN from within the Windows 7 install which successfully loaded the 53C1010 drivers. This setup had no issues; I was able to select the drive attached to the 53C1010 within the Win7 setup and from there it was pretty much a standard install.

Hope that helps.

13. oopsilon

oopsilon MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    I have to note that I've only run my Win7 install off the SCSI drive once (the first-boot run) since I just barely got it working last night, but for what it's worth it wasn't running in test mode.