coreboot BIOS and Windows 8 can live together?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jul12, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jul12

jul12 MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    #1 jul12, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Hello,

Any comments if coreboot open source BIOS can solve lots of problems and solution for desktop and Windows 8?
    Is there any interest to support this project?

Sorry if this thread can be out of topic.

Regards.
    ;)

2. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I would rather use EasyBCD 2.2 for windows 8 than messing the motherboard BIOS with third party tools for solving and booting anything alongside Windows 8 including Linux.

3. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    have a good look at their motherboard support list, no mater how "easy" it is to inject a SLIC to a proprietary EFI/UEFI BIOS makes no difference if your motherboard is not supported on this particular project!

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive used flashrom to flash a few bios.. but cant flash them all.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Then again what does the OP even want..
    "lots of problems".. what problems?
    Also mentoining SLIC injecting when it's about 8 doesnt make sense either, now there is only a MSDM table which is quite useless as all you can do with it store your actual product key in it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Yep, MDL has helped MS make Windows 8 darn near if not completely bullet proof from an OEM activation stand point.

Ungrateful bastards probably haven't even sent Daz a thank you letter. Joking aside, they may have tightened up activation and eventually WGA when it is released for 8 but they HAVE answered the criticisms or their licensing policies with some postive improvements such as lowering upgrade pricing and loosening up the restrictions on System Builder licenses that any of us can buy from vendors, now those licenses CAN be migrated along with system upgrades and rebuilds, transferred and sold.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #8 Shenj, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I've actually used a computer with coreboot flashed to the BIOS chip, and it was incredibly surprising somebody was able to create a BIOS replacement with open-source code - not to mention potentially useful. That being said, the idea of using coreboot to modify or implement some form of circumvision of Windows 8's activation process would just be damned near impossible. While there are a crapload of computers out there still booting using MBR, computer motherboards are now leaning towards EFI implementation. EFI makes it significantly harder for any sort of OEM activation because from my understanding of it, there are several instances where code needs to be signed by Microsoft (assuming you're running Windows 8) for the computer to even activate let alone actually booting up.

Now, there ARE open-source EFI projects abundantly available over the interwebs - just by searching the goog. One of the solutions that comes to mind is rEFIt, which was handy with early Intel-based Apple machines, since you could boot to a command line interface ran inside of the EFI. It seems to me that coreboot just doesn't have the ability to ever be built up into something that could even be useful for activating Win8 with falsified data.

That's all just my opinion though...I could just as easily be wrong about everything.

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    OEM Activation changed with Windows 8, Devices ship unactivated. The easy OEM Activation of Windows 7 is no more, even OEM Machines need to activated online which they do when you boot it up for the first time and connect to the Internet.

10. jul12

jul12 MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    People we sometimes talk about SLIC, but reason is that we need open source BIOS to 100% control hardware.
    There is no talk about how to activate Windows and if coreboot can help in this situation, but I am putting this question that we need find way how use computer with Windows which will have open source BIOS.

11. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
  12. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    is the chipset supported. We have recently added many chipsets. and i am trying my ass hard to port to t410, t420, t430. i dont know when i will taste success. but i am facing a daily brick and revive with the buspirate.

afaik, git coreboot got the slic in the menuconfig. if you mean that, else why cant you roll your own bootloader, i mean, you can roll your ow seabios and enable tables like slic and virtual tpm and what not!

thanks!
    -paul