Corona virus and job hunting

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by QueenOfTech, Mar 19, 2020.

1. QueenOfTech

QueenOfTech MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Hi,

I just graduated with a computer science degree last year. I am currently looking for a software developer role (based in London) however as you’re all aware, Corona virus has been spreading quite fast in London (and workdwide). Therefore whilst I have phone/video interviews only (as opposed to face to face) I’ve been told by the interviewers that there’s no guarantee that new recruits will be appointed at this point in time due to the uncertainty of corona virus.

I was planning to attend conferences and dev hackathons and other career related workshops held by large companies to learn new skills. I also like to attend social meetups. However due to corona they’ve all been cancelled as you’d expect. Can anyone suggest things I can be doing while I am unemployed in order to increase my chances of being hired as a software developer?

Also, what are the chances of getting hired for freelance work as a fresh grad?

2. RogerUK

RogerUK MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Understand what you are working with firstly:
    Read https://archive.org/details/DesignOfTheUnixOperatingSystemByMauriceBach/mode/2up followed by https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/innovation/icl-technical-journals/the-architecture-of-open-vme-nic-holt/ and notice the similarity in the architecture, not much has changed since these were written, Windows is no different, all the same principles.
    Slap a pretty GUI on the top and bingo, you have a new operating system.

I actually worked with Nick for a number of years, what a brilliant mind and man he was ...........

As for freelance work, given the proposed (now put back a year) introduction of IR35 in the private sector, there are very few positions available (the virus hasn't helped matters), my own company of 20+ years standing (45+ years of IT experience for me alone), is now closing down, it just isn't worth the effort any more...

Good luck

3. Akinator

Akinator MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2020
    Hey!
    Yeah the current Industries are facing recession due to this global Pandemic. I also used to hunt jobs related to Data Sciences a month ago, but I quit that for some time till this disease ends and life goes on routine. I currently working from home on different projects remotely and that's fine.
    SO you must look for any particular freelance job o different job opening sites, you will definitely get one as most of the startups are looking for the people like you and I am sure you'll get one.

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    lobo working as Live Cam Model on Chartubate :g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    no one does it better huh;)