Coronavirus | Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Deleted member 1254778, Feb 28, 2020.

1. #1 Deleted member 1254778, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
    removed.

2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    20000 people in the U.S. die each year from the regular flu. The corona virus kills mostly the already ill, and weak. Many people show little or no symptoms. I am not saying it isn't dangerous, but most will live through it if they get it. The most damage it will do will be to exacerbate the economic problems caused by the Trump administrations nationalism, and paranoia.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Yea, it is dangerous. We will see how it goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Despite cases of it reported here in the UK and general fear of it, it's all fine up in Scotland. The only things I've seen about it where posters all around my college informing people if they had been to Wuhan from the past couple of weeks and told to stay indoors if they're suspected of having it (but so far, results came negative for those affected).

At least this isn't as prevalent as swine flu 11 years ago... but that doesn't mean all of us are safe.

5. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
  6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    What concerns me is the fact that waterfowl tend to carry things like Rhinovirus (common cold)
    If they start carrying the Corona virus, then nothing will stop the virus from traveling around the globe.

7. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Schools are closed just as a precaution, not fear !

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  9. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #9 John Sutherland, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    My neighbors should pray to God that I never come down with it, because if I do, I'm going to go around the neighborhood at 3 AM and lick all of the doorknobs. Serves 'em right for letting their damn dogs bark all day and half the night, and being completely oblivious to it.

EDIT: Hey everyone, don't take what I just said too seriously. Long before something like that ever happens, I'd more likely be arrested for breaking somebody's skull with a pooper scooper. There's nothing I hate more than stepping in dog s**t in my own front yard, because I don't own a dog!

10. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #10 ipx, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

11. parrish

parrish MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2016
    A Warning From a Scientist

A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming...

“It’s our everyday way of going about business on the planet that seems to be driving this.”

Peter Daszak is a zoologist who works in China and runs the EcoHealth Alliance, an organization that studies the connections between human and wildlife health. So coronaviruses, like the new one that’s spreading right now, are one of his areas of expertise.

A few years back, Daszak was working with the World Health Organization, plotting out what the next global pandemic could look like, when he and some other scientists came up with the idea of “Disease X.” Disease X would hit this epidemiological sweet spot: It would transmit easily from person to person, and it would be deadly, but not too deadly.

Even though scientists like him knew this sort of virus was coming, the world didn’t get ready, not soon enough. And Daszak says that even when this outbreak is contained, it won’t be the last one. We’re going to get bigger pandemics, and they’re going to happen more often. But if we pay close attention to what’s happening right now, next time could be different.

I spoke to Daszak on Wednesday’s episode of What Next about COVID-19, the cause, our response, and what comes next. Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Mary Harris: Tens of thousands of people have been diagnosed with this disease worldwide, with more than 3,000 deaths. Yet there have been few deaths in the U.S. so far.

Do we actually know how many cases are stateside? It’s been reported that we’re not testing that much, but that might change soon.

“I would say we are the cause of almost all emerging diseases.” — Peter Daszak

Peter Daszak: In most outbreaks, you never really know when it begins, what the true caseload is, what the environment is. All you can see are the people who come to the hospital and get tested and diagnosed.

You don’t see people with mild infections, or people who are pretty sick in poor communities and just don’t make it, or people in communities that have trouble traveling.

When people start rolling out those test kits, we’re going to find a lot of cases in the U.S. and it’s going to look like this is spreading out of control. The truth is: It’s probably already been there, probably, and we’re now finding that out.

You know how this story goes. First there’s the panic, the search for something or someone to blame. In the case of the novel coronavirus, there was the story that the outbreak got its start at a local food market in Wuhan.

But stories like that can get in the way of the bigger picture: More and more people are also living and working closer to wildlife.

It isn’t about one or two individuals putting people at risk.

The risk also comes from clear-cutting rainforests, remote mining, and even widespread suburbanization.

I would say we are the cause of almost all emerging diseases.

What do you mean when you say that?

We’re not doing it on purpose, but it’s our everyday way of going about business on the planet that seems to be driving this.

The big things that drive these diseases are places on the planet where there’s lots of wildlife diversity, because they carry viruses, some of which can become pandemics in places where the human population is dense and growing. Because our contact with wildlife is higher, there’s more of a chance for viruses to get to us.

So humans are bumping up against these very diverse ecosystems.

It’s the way we bump up against them. I’ve found that things like land use, change, deforestation, road building, mining, and agricultural intensification are the reasons we push ourselves into wildlife habitat and get infected.

In your work, you build this case that our whole system right now—the way we interact with the environment, the economic engine that’s driving us—is part of the cause of these pandemics. I never hear it talked about like that on cable news.

Why?

We’ve got used to this idea that we’re in a reductionist strategy to deal with things. We find this virus. We learn everything about the molecules on the surface.

We have high-tech solutions to design vaccines and produce them.

Truly, it all doesn’t work quickly enough to actually deal with an outbreak. These outbreaks are now moving in a matter of days. We saw cells emerge after two months and spread globally.

This one took two weeks. We haven’t got time to develop vaccines and drugs quickly. But the public demands it and expects it.

There are over a million viruses like the novel coronavirus out there. You’ve found 500 different coronaviruses in bats alone, but it took you 10 years to do that work.

We need to do that on this scale so that we discover all the rest of those viruses.

We need many more groups in many more regions doing this work. We then need to get those sequences we find into the hands of vaccine designers, because what’s the point in spending billions of dollars designing a vaccine to SARS if the virus that emerges this year is 20 percent different, and the vaccine doesn’t work?

Let’s have vaccines across the whole group. We’ve heard about the universal flu vaccine.

Let’s have a universal coronavirus vaccine. Let’s have a universal Ebola virus vaccine. I think that’s common sense.

Getting governments to commit to that seems really challenging. Every virologist I speak to thinks that a universal flu vaccine is the solution, rather than what we do now, which is hypothesize about what’s going to be the strain and then give what we think will work—even if we haven’t really tested it, we’ll see afterward how well we did.

But it all costs billions of dollars and there aren’t any manufacturers who are very eager.

We need voices out there that advocate for dealing with pandemics as a process, not just individual pathogens. And it’s not just vaccines and drugs.

We have the basic public health message of getting to rural communities that are on the front line and helping them reduce risk, talking to companies that are building roads to new mining facilities and asking about building a clinic.

As we think about a more sustainable approach to doing business, sustainability regarding our health and the environment should be a part of it.

What’s frustrating is telling people repeatedly that we will see more, and more frequent, pandemics and then not seeing much change to get ready for that.

A lot of us are in the middle of this outbreak, and we’re already saying that in two years, when we’re used to this one, are we going to be getting ready for the next one?

Do you think there’s gonna be chaos in the next few weeks?

It depends. There’s going to be chaos at certain levels. As all of us eventually get to know someone who’s been infected, no matter how logical you are, you’ll start to get some fear and then think, how did I make contact? Am I at risk?

What am I doing wrong?

I think in some cases there are going to be significant outbreaks that are just seeded and moving forward. And when we find out about them, they’re going to be pretty hard to control.

There was this piece in the New York Times this weekend in which the writer advocated for more aggressive action.

He was saying that in 1918, when we had a flu pandemic, the places that really shut things down—closed the schools, closed the ballgames, closed ports, had people wear masks and keep their distance from each other—were the ones that had less of an impact.

Do you think we’ll need to get that aggressive in United States?

I think we’re going to see things happen that we didn’t expect would happen.

I think we’re going to see a personal invasion of our daily lives that we’ve not seen for a long time. And some people disagree, and that will lead to conflicts. How far will public health services go to actually force people to change our behavior?

Don’t forget, we’ve got to get ready for the long term here. School closures might work to delay things for a few days or weeks, but at some point, this thing is probably going to be around in our human population for a couple years, maybe indefinitely.

At some point, we have to get back to a more-or-less normal society with schools and businesses and global trade and travel. I really hope this is a wake-up call, and that we start to get more proactive on this. But let’s talk in two years and see if that really happens.

Listen to the full episode using the player below, or subscribe to What Next on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts:

source:

https://slate.com/podcasts/what-next/2020/03/why-humans-are-responsible-for-the-coronavirus

View Transcript:

https://slate.com/transcripts/cWxuRjZWMG9VcjNJbnU5eUNyTmNuL2J4QlFpZncyNC92OWI0c0Vnbz0=

SOURCE:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/0...tion-prevention.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. First of all, it is absolutely incomprehensible what the point of this post is.
    2. Secondly, why is it necessary to have 5 blank lines between each line? Enormously bad to read.

13. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    there will never be a cure all vaccine, like humans a virus will evolve ! bacteria evolves ! the climate is changing colder places are getting warmer ! we are living in a large petri dish !

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If peeps stop eating strange sh*t like bats maybe we won't see these types of viruses?
    I think the Ebola virus started from eating monkeys????

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is completely incomprehensible panic and all those stories and articles everywhere.
    There is really nothing new, and almost exactly the same virus was present in the same regions between 2002 and 2003. The current one is a bit mutated, but generally the same, hence the same official name, with only attached number "2", ie SARS2 or SARS.CoV2.
    Here is the history.
    Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a viral respiratory disease of zoonotic origin caused by the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Between November 2002 and July 2003, an outbreak of SARS in southern China caused an eventual 8,098 cases, resulting in 774 deaths reported in 17 countries (9.6% fatality rate), with the majority of cases in mainland China and Hong Kong. No cases of SARS have been reported worldwide since 2004. In late 2017, Chinese scientists traced the virus through the intermediary of civets to cave-dwelling horseshoe bats in Yunnan province.
    Take and search a bit and You'll know, what is SARS and why it have got name Corona Virus etc.
    Not need make any kind of panic, have been years, when more people have died after the flu.

16. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    JFC what a load of crap . Whats the conclusion ? Destroy nature because it threatens us ? Stop building roads , citys ? Stop mining ? Stop eating animals ?

Pictures of people spraying whole streets with chemicals ? ...... Why ? Why the chemicals and why the pictures ?

Running away from infections ? Paranoia ? A ' sterile ' future ? Where every infection is life threatening because we have no imunity ? Because we run away from it . We cant run away from evilution .

People get diseases . People die . Its what makes us strong = Survival of the fitest . Natural genetic selection .

Or should we propogate weakness ? Genetic degeneration ?

How deep does symbiosis go ? When we start to ( try to ) destroy parts of a working symbiosis that took millions of years to develop what will / could the consequences be ?

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i believe this one will be difficult to control it has spread all over world 22 deaths in the US with 680 confirm carriers and that number will keep raising the global economy is taking a pounding lets see how this looks in few more months.

18. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I think the number has more than doubled, but think about this: I read several weeks ago that the number of people who died this season of the normal flu, yes just this flu season, in the U.S. alone is 20,000+! The most damage that will be done will be to the economy. But, with every cloud there is a silver lining, and with the current administration's bozo responses to the epidemic, their chances of being voted out of office increase by the minute.

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I take it you do not like President Trump?
    Well do tell us how you would take control of this if you were running the U.S. .........

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Well let's see...

The price of crude is so cheap these days that they can't give it away (The oil speculators are taking a bath... :giggle:)

The Dow Jones tanked so fast that an automatic shutdown was triggered.

The Fed was talking about injecting money into the economy on the consumer side and on the industry side.
    But what good will it do, since nobody's buying anything because we're all scared half out of our wits with this coronavirus garbage.

Trump is blaming the MSM because it's doing the only thing it knows how to do; feeding on everybodys' fear under the guise of "spreading the news".

case & point: Every damn time I turn on the news, all i see is the news networks leading with coronavirus hogwash. Let's all wash our hands correctly, stay indoors, and if ya' have to go out make sure you're wearing those stupid paper masks.

(How big is the virus? 1-2 microns? Is the stupid mask capable of filtering a virus that small? Typically, HEPA filters go down to 4 microns.)

What's wrong with this picture :dunno:

So, is Trump fiddling while Rome burns? If it were me, I'd use this time to rebuild and restructure my own local economy, so that we could eat and manufacture.

You can read it in the Sunday papers. :D