Correct bootmgr for Easy2Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oldschooldino, Aug 8, 2016.

1. oldschooldino

oldschooldino MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    I put a .vhdx of Windows 7 Enterprise (created with Hyper-V) on my new Easy2Boot drive. When I try to boot it, it says i need to add the bootmgr file. Now, I've been through every Windows ISO I have, plus my current Windows install, but none of them match what E2B is looking for. I've been looking at google and here searching, but everything if find is 'bootmgr missing' which isn't the problem. Can anyone direct me to an ISO with the correct bootmgr file, or better yet, just the file? My ISP just cut us back from unlimited to a package deal, so I can't just go downloading willy-nilly anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Do you really don't have any computer, what works, the best is Windows 7. Then, the file is okay, after all, and located on the hard disk, on the same drive, where is installed Windows. Only this file is not visible, it is usually about 350-375kb and is a hidden file. Take it there. It should be OK, if Your computer starts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How about using

bcdedit /?

4. oldschooldino

oldschooldino MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    kaljukass, I have 2 working Windows 7 installs and 2 working Windows 10 installs. None of those bootmgr files are the right size. I've also tried pulling the bootmgr file from installation ISO's. None of those work either. I always get a size mismatch when I boot E2B in QEMU.

5. oldschooldino

oldschooldino MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    Sebus, not familiar with bcedit. I'll check into it.

6. steve2926

steve2926 MDL Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Try Windows 8.1 64-bit retail install ISO 427,680 bytes

7. oldschooldino

oldschooldino MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    Thanks, steve2926! That's what I was looking for. Got the good bootmgr file.Sebus, not ready to play with those toys. Borked my installation somehow and had to reinstall. Got my Easy2Boot drive up and running with Windows XP and Windows 10. I think I'm having issues with Windows 7 because none of my images have USB 3.0 drivers and I don't have any 2.0 ports on my computer. Might try and slipstream them into an image.