Cortana can now automatically remind you of commitments made in emails

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katzenfreund, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Outside of glaring privacy concerns, that's a pretty neat feature :p

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I bet your smart phone does that, and you think nothing of it. Cortana does that and all of a sudden people start screaming privacy concerns. What privacy concerns? It is YOU who are being told not the whole freaking planet!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Yeah, fighting stereotypes with stereotypes ... nice. Doggie as a true tinfoil hatter uses at least Cyanogenmod on his mobile :cool2:.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Maybe ask Siri? ;):p:D

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Yes, obviously I love Google for having this same exact feature and use it daily with high praise and no privacy concerns! Screw Microsoft as they aren't allowed to do it! You know me and my software usage so well, and I thank you for detailing my thoughts so precisely :D

(/s)

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Nope
    Don't use Cortana for this exact reason.
    If I tell you then it will no longer be private now, will it ?
    Says you.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Well you know what? You can think what you want, but I will use Cortana. I have no issues with all the fabricated privacy concerns of tin foil hatters. I refuse to stand still in a rapidly developing world, and will continue to embrace the amazing advances in technology.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Setting 'new' generally equal to 'useful' i would call politely premature. Leaving aside the fact that in most languages except english asking Cortana will simply start a Bing Search via Edge, there's nothing where she can help me. Since she insisted in lurking in background although deactivated, she got bent over.

11. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    everything is fine till we have a option to opt out, personally i am not that dumb that a computer generated voice would remind me for my tasks, I prefer setting reminders and checklists with google keep and i am pretty good at that.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Privacy is an obvious concern. But as the OP says, you have to give your consent:
    “The feature will no doubt raise some privacy questions, but it isn’t switched on by default. Users must sign in to Cortana, give communications consent, and connect their Outlook.com, Office 365 work, or Office 365 school account to the connected services section in Cortana’s Notebook.”

In fact, I further contend that, if MS wants to read someone’s (MS) Outlook emails, it can do so without the need for Cortana or his consent or offering him anything in return.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I suppose, it’s not a feature for everybody. But someone may use emails regularly for multiple professional appointments without privacy concerns. If he learns how to use this feature reliably, it could save him having to keep a separate diary or even a secretary, or of course missing an appointment.

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Why thank you very much for allowing me the privilege of letting me think what I want. :rolleyes:
    Did I ever say you couldn't ? :confused:
    Cool.
    Could you please post your bank account number and SS number then ?
    Oh yeah, and your mother's maiden name was ?
    Google already has your real name.
    After all you've got absolutely nothing to hide. Isn't that correct ?
    Wait, nevermind. Cortana already has all of that. ;)
    Also nice ad hominem. Frankly, I expected no less of you.
    Good for you. :clap:

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Until you pick up a Remote Access Trojan (RAT) and someone gives your consent for you. ;)

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If I live in fear of Remote Access Trojans, I’d keep few secrets in my computer, in which case I’d bother little about Cortana reading my emails.

And a RAT operator won’t need Cortana to access my emails, if that’s what he wants of all things, as I have tabs on my browser directly accessing my (constantly logged in) emails.

But…I happen to be a fan of cats that have little fear of RATS. ;)

17. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    not only they read your mail remotly but now locally. Nice. Its getting better and better! :clap:
    Do this as independent developer and you go to jail for infinite years.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Na; just have to make sure it gets popular enough for the government to call you up and ask for a backdoor. Bonus points if you already have one in :p Make sure to also have the usual clause in your EULA about giving data to 3rd-parties, legal consent, and other stuff nobody reads or cares about when brought to light.

19. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    hmmm, yes it will be beneficial for many people. But it all comes down to how well it would be implemented.