Cortana - Update KB4512941

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by NewFx, Sep 4, 2019.

1. NewFx

NewFx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @NewFx Yes, of course. Restore cortana and if You don't want it, disable in registry. That's what You should do, but not delete it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NewFx

NewFx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    I updated Windows 10 yesterday and "SearchUI.exe" had high cpu usage and was using almost 1gb of ram. This never happened before. If i restore it will this happen again ? Anyone had this problem ?

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Some people had to have this problem after installing KB4512941.
    Some have suggested uninstalling this update, I would not recommend it.
    I don't have this problem, but I would recommend using a registry repair
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. NewFx

NewFx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    #6 NewFx, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    (OP)
    Okay here's what happened, i restored Cortana ("Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy") using sfc /scannow but the high cpu and memory usage was back !

So i followed the link from TairikuOkami, followed the instructions, restarted and the problem is solved.

So to summarize those who have this problem (High CPU and memory usage from SearchUI.exe) don't delete Cortana just follow the link above and follow the instructions.

Thanks kaljukass and TairikuOkami for helping me.

7. NewFx

NewFx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    I tried it and it works great, thank you prestige600.

8. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
  9. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
  10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Don't you forgot that the Group Policy widget is an easier way to make or modify registry entries?
    Nobody is forbidding you from adding these rules to the registry without this gadget, simply open registry editor and make changes what You need.

11. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    WHAT! I did not indicate that I am being forced to do anything or unhappy about changes. I simply was giving some incite on possible side affects by adding that rule, For me I was unable to access search from the taskbar. I then offered another possible solution to disable Cortana that has no side affects using Group Policy Editor.

I am well versed in using Windows and editing or modifying settings, registry, Security Policy, and Group Policy by either manually making the edit, using batch, or cmd files or powershell commanlets. Please have a good day Sir.

12. prestige600

prestige600 MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    #14 prestige600, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Tried that. But SearchUI.exe will still run even if its "disabled" on Group Policy.

I don't have use for Cortana anyway, OpenShell and the one on the File Explorer works pretty good on searching anything on my pc.

13. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    I don't use it either and have it disabled. Its listed in task manager but uses 0 cpu/ram. I was just offering a different solution than above. either way works, just for me the registry method caused the search to stop working from the taskbar. Either way is purely up to those that make that decision. Peace

14. Piers Patxi

Piers Patxi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2019
    I disabled Cortana on both my Enterprise & Home and wanted to offer an alternative to OpenShell...a no-nonsense, lightweight portable app called Locate32.
    After pinning shortcut to the taskbar with an appropriate icon, I don't miss noisy Cortana at all. Check sourceforge for projects_locate32_files_latest_download

15. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    That's interesting. What kinds of noises was it making? I haven't disabled Cortana on anything, and I'm not aware of any spontaneous sounds coming from her.

16. Piers Patxi

Piers Patxi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2019
    lol...I can't tell if you're kidding or not but the number of cpu-cycles and amount of network traffic (since it's inception) is the noise I prefer to squelch. Not down on Cortana, per-se, just the way M$ has implemented it.
    https_ghacks_net_2019_09_11_windows-september-2019-updates-more-search-woes-and-telemetry/