Could anyone recommend an OS for this laptop?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Turh, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Turh

Turh MDL Novice

May 25, 2020
    Could anyone recommend an OS for this laptop?
    Toshiba Satellite C40-C-10Q
    emea dynabook com/discontinued-products/satellite-c40-c-10q/

I have tried Zorin, but it was a while ago and it seemed clunky. It came with windows, and it struggled with everything. I have installed Chrome OS on it now, but it does not detect any WiFi networks and says WiFi is off even when it is on.
    It is a terrible laptop, no idea why it was made. But I am giving it to an 11 year old girl, so was reluctant to install lubuntu on it, unless I have to.
    Are there any user friendly OS's that I could install on it for her?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Please don't traumatize a child unless you want she will to hate all kinds of computers in the future!
    This computer came out with Windows 10 Home installed on it, but that's too much for it (2GB RAM and 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3050)
    without remodeling, you have nothing to do with it. (if you want, can to use it as a cutting board or put under a flower pot).
    That's the right question - why have they did such a thing at all ...
    It was the pinnacle of idiocy already then, when it came out. Today is it permanently and for ever useless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Asa Akida

Asa Akida MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2020
    If you need updates Windows server 2012 R2. It is based on windows 8.1 which ran on 2gb tablet devices. It will be getting ESU security updates in the future, someone will likely make a patch for non enterprise users like they did for windows 7.
    Windows 10 is a bit heavy for 2gb of ram in my opinion but you can try an LTSC edition.

5. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    Besides having a very weak Intel processor, that laptop came with a measly 2 GB of RAM(non-removable) and a very small capacity eMMC storage drive.
    What was Toshiba thinking about when they made that laptop for the purpose of running Windows 10?
    I guess it can be used for a paperweight or a doorstop.

6. Agret

Agret MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012