cpu 100% problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by adideg, Jun 28, 2010.

1. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    hi . i have a problem with my cpu usage. i know there are a 1000 post on google with this problem , but i can't figure out a solution. maybe you can help me.

so , .. i had win xp sp3 , on my computer , and now i have win7 , for about 2 weeks. there are no viruses on my computer , but my cpu goes to 100% when outlook is downloading and i can't open any internet pages until the download is complete. another thing , the download on outlook is going very slow .

2. povinho

povinho MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2007
    well.... the download on outlook will be as fast as your internet connection.

Assuming that your Windows7 and Office installation are correct, then I can only guess that your machine sits below the recomended hardware requirements.

i.e.
    you may need more RAM
    or maybe you need a new CPU.

Cheers

3. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    Post your hardware specs

4. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    What is your system specs?

How fast is your internet connection?

Also, what antivirus and firewall are you using as well as any other security programs?

5. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    i have nod32 on my computer , i tried to switch it off , but it is the same . still slow download. when i make the download direct from the site i have 4mb/s download speed , so i guess it isn't from the internet connection. here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 1900+ 1.2 Ghz
    RAM 1GB

6. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    You have a realllllllly old CPU, single core, 1.2Ghz.

Its probably why, windows is trying to do stuff and it just hasn't enough processing power to do it all as quick as a dual core CPU.

More RAM might also help as I would guess your page file is maxed out as well.

7. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    this is my old desktop . so you say first try to upgrade the ram, and if possible the cpu

8. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Yea definitely.

Really though I don't think you can get a dual core CPU into your motherboard by sounds of it.

If you can lend RAM off a friends PC or another PC you might have (I think it might even be SDRAM, if not then its going to be low-end DDR.

It can be really expensive to update an old PC now, for £300 you can near buy a Dell with windows 7 and a monitor. The Vostro 230 MT, bought it for a friend of the family. The RAM and CPU upgrade could cost you like £150, old SDRAM is very expensive, leaving a good 75 odd for a new CPU and motherboard maybe.

9. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    yes this is true. it is expensive to update the pc , and i'm thinking about a new one. thank you for helping me.

10. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Keep us posted on what you decide to do man. If you decide to upgrade or buy new ppl here can help ye with that.

11. crunzaty

crunzaty MDL Junior Member

Feb 25, 2010
    #11 crunzaty, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    My brother have the same problem.
    But we found out why.. Its hard to explain..

I would take a backup of everything you need on the disk.
    And install an OS and then see if the problem is gone.

If it is not, It has to be your cpu..

12. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    i've installed thunderbird, and now using it , the cpu stay under 100%. the computer now works much better

13. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Thunderbird - new CPU?
    If so dude good to hear it helped and you posted a solution, it may benefit others in the future.

14. adideg

adideg MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    i've installed only the thunderbird. in rest the computer is the same . the download of messages are fast, the cpu stay under 100%. it's like i'm using another computer.

15. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Not that it will help much...... But you need to set the FSB to 133 (BIOS setting) as this processor is 1.6ghz 12 x133 you have it underclocked @ 12 x100..... you never know it might make a tiny bit of difference!